Chapter 1-Survival

Another day spent surviving.  With werewolves hunting down female humans it's not exactly easy to not be caught.  They just want us as their mates.  I got out of my makeshift bed of pine needles, scattering them around the forest.  I grabbed the berries I had gathered last night and started to eat. I was weak from not being able to eat yesterday.  I need to keep moving.  Packing up my things which was not much.  After the war that drove us to near extinction the few humans that remained had to constantly fight for survival.  

I started to run I needed to move quickly in case there were any wolves nearby.  I was hoping to get to Canada.  It was going to be a long journey seeing as if I started in Georgia.  I don't know what happened to my family,  were my parents alright? Were my older sisters Artemis, and Athena?  Mom, Athena, and Artemis were probably alright but I highly doubted my dad was.  They kill the men but the women get mates even if they don't want them.

I used to be a softie but this war has hardened me.  I can kill without hesitation and do whatever I need to survive.  All I hope is that I never get a mate.  I'm 18 now and the wolves haven't caught me in the 8 years I've been on the run.  I was 10 when the war happened and I've been on my own ever since. I thank the lord my dad taught me how to survive in all types of environments.  From behind me, I heard a growl.  I started to run until I saw a tree I can climb.  I climbed up and started hopping from tree to tree.  They would have to shift to human form to catch me and that can take a little time so I can escape.  

This is the third time I've had to run from this pack.  Their territory must be expanding.  How do I know it's the same pack?  Each pack has a different fur and eye color.  The Georgia wolves have amber fur and black eyes.  I ran for about three hours looking at the position of the sun.  I should be in South Carolina by now.

I continued to walk until it was about noon.  Lunchtime finally. I grabbed the berries and the strips of meat I had dried.  Eating I went to a stream I found and got some water.  I sighed, time to continue.  I walked for another 7 hours till I needed to stop again.  I started to make a camp so I can rest.  I grabbed my bow and arrows on the look for something to eat.  Finally, spotting a rabbit I shot an arrow hitting it directly in the heart.  

I walked back to my camp started a fire before skinning the rabbit and cooking it over the fire.  I ate and for once in eight years fell asleep with a full belly and good dreams.