Chapter 28

Zachary was pacing around the room as I sat on the bed against the wall. My head was propped on my knees and my eyes watched him. His hands were running through his hair as his eyes darted around the mirror. I could almost say I didn't care about the letter but that would be a lie. I was too curious to not care.  Stepping around the glass shards he made his way to the bed. He was crouched low with his arms outstretched as if to show a lack of hostility. His slow even steps did nothing to quell the panic that was there after his outburst. 

"Althea" he said, " Listen to me Darling." his voice was calm and low, an attempt to lure me into a false sense of comfort. "It's not what you think it is, Thea. I promise" His words seemed genuine but they were used on the wrong audience.

"Am I supposed to care?" I said. My tone was dry and harsh. He almost seemed to recoil, as if he'd been shot by my words. The silence permeated the room. The crickets chirping could be heard in the silent room. The sun had long gone down and the pale moonlight shone through the windows. His right hand gripped into a fist as he handed me the letter with his left. His brow was furrowed and his head hung low. 

Tentatively I reached for the letter. My arm was shaking as it approached his hand. I genuinely only cared because I was curious. I didn't care about who loved him, I merely wanted to know why the letter was hidden. I knew he was private but behind a mirror seemed a bit extreme.

"Marina was my cousin, she died before adulthood due to a genetic condition. She wrote everyone in the family letters before she died. I hid it because I can't stand to read it." 

A/N hey so its been like a year since I uploaded. I found this in the drafts and figured I might as well post it. I started this story when I was 13, I'm now 18 lol. I don't know if I should finish or not, I might end up re-writing the whole thing. Curious what y'all have to say. I'm also going to publish a new story I've been working on if y'all want to check that out. Thanks for reading!