"I was wrong."

❤ ❤ ❤

14 years later..

"Alright girls we're here. You've both got your flowers?" I asked as I parked the car. 

"Yeah dad, we do." Marina answered. I smiled. Her brunette hair is short, and her eyes as blue as the sky. Whereas Ariel's hair is a beautiful strawberry blond down to her waist and has light green eyes. If only Niall could see how beautiful they are. He'd be so proud of them.

We all got out at the same time, "Uncle Liam!" They said in unison as they ran to the man. "Good morning! Hi Ash! Wow, you two get more and more beautiful everyday!" He smiled. "Hi Liam, Hello Sophia. You look lovely today." She thanked me and we all started to walk to Niall.

It feels like yesterday Liam and I picked up Marina and Ari after the funeral. Now, they're both older, more wise, and it makes me feel old to say the least. Ever since that day, though, I've vowed to never love anyone else. Some people would say it's stupid I had wasted my feelings, but they're wrong.

I knew what I was doing when I walked down the aisle. I knew what I was saying before I slipped the ring on both Niall and I's fingers. I knew what I was putting myself through, and it wasn't much.

I put my full attention on my girls. I made them feel loved and helped them through a lot. It was a bit weird when I had to talk to them about puberty and such. But I love how open they are with me. How they'd talk about ruined friendships and silly gossip. 

 Every year, on his birthday, we all come down here, and I share another story of ours. I've showed them pictures of him; They're always in awe. 

"Im going to talk about the day when Niall gave me a pep talk. It's not a long story this time. Since its cold out.." I began, "I was starting to feel depressed, because people were bullying me everyday and I couldn't keep it a secret anymore. So I told him why..To protect him."

"I still remember what he said to me, which wasn't much, but it helped me through that whole dilemma."

Marina and Ariel both sat on either side of Niall, Sophia sat by Liam who sat next me in front of the tombstone. 

"He said "What you need, right now, is happiness, and I'll be your happiness. Forever if you want." I hugged him so tightly and cried to him. I spent the night at his house and he kept whispering to me how much he loved me."

"The next day, we got to school, and Niall tackled that guy to the ground! He gave him a broken nose and busted lip - Girls don't let any guy beat another one for your honor, and don't defend each others honor by doing that either- Anyways, it made me laugh, but he got suspended for a week."

 They giggled at the same time, but Ariel spoke up, "He did it because he wanted to prove to you he was your knight in shining armor. Like...Like in Shrek!"

"Don't compare Niall to Shrek, Ari." Liam warned, jokingly.

She started ripping pieces of grass from the ground; Shes bored already.

"He loves you, dad. Always have, always will." Marina chimed in.

I looked at her, "Funny, he said that after he got suspended."

I didn't hear her reply. I was lost in thought as I stared at his tombstone.

Niall James Horan

September 13 1993 - April 23 xxxx

Beloved son, friend, and husband.

To add to the list: Father.

I was wrong. I thought death to him would also be the end of me. But it was just the start of something new. I had lost the love of my life, yes, but I had also gained the reason to live the rest of my life. They're sitting right in front of me.

I'm happy with how my life turned out. Sure, I'm missing a certain someone, but life was never meant to be perfect. He visits me in dreams and I see him from the corner of my eye. When I blink he's gone, but I know he'll always be there. For me. For us.

 ❤ ❤ ❤

A/N: I don't know if I like this epilogue or not. It seems too short to my liking. Anyways, there you have it. I hope you enjoyed this story. Plot credit goes to my best friend, Cait. Horrible writing credit goes to yours truly. Thank you for reading Cotton Candy, and thanks for all the feedback (votes and comments) it makes me feel more confident in my writing!

til next time, beauties and gents. x

I love you, stay safe, and have a wonderful day. x