21: Potter's Glasses

They found themselves standing in front of the pensieve in the Room of Requirement.

"What the hell was that, Harry?" Draco asked, his voice tense.

"A memory from my sixth year." Harry said.

"So next year? Next year I'm a Death Eater?"

"You don't have to be this time."

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"That means I'm giving you a chance to decide for yourself before someone chooses for you." Harry said. "I'm giving you a chance to join the Order of the Phoenix. You don't have to, Draco, but I won't lie that I'd like you to."

"What makes you think that they'll accept me? What makes you think that I'll join you?" Draco demanded.

"I think you'll join because the Draco Malfoy I knew in eighth year despised the Dark Mark on his arm. And as for why they'd accept you? You heard Dumbledore in the memory. Besides, I'd vouch for you." Harry said.

Draco stared. He just couldn't wrap his mind around it.

"I'm going to leave you to think. Tell me when you've made your decision." Harry said softly, and retreated from the room.

~~~

Harry caught up with Ron and Hermione in time to catch the end of Hermione's rant about Umbridge.

"It's absolutely ridiculous, I mean we learned more from Lockheart!" Hermione fumed.

"Hello." Harry said.

"Oh, hi Harry." Hermione said.

"Hey mate." Ron said. "Did you get the potions essay done? The one with the Furgelsap and the other one?"

"Yeah. Ended up having to rewrite it, but it's done." Harry said.

"Without Mione's help?" Ron asked.

"Yeah. I just read Draco's." Harry said. 

"Did you just call him Draco?" Ron asked.

"Er, yeah?" Harry said.

"Are you alright, mate?" Ron asked, worry on his brows.

"I'm fine." Harry said. "Where are you two headed?"

"The owlery. I've got a letter to send to my parents." Hermione said.

"You should let Hedwig take it. I think she likes your parents." Harry said.

"You do?" Hermione asked, pleasantly surprised.

"Mhm." Harry voiced, and beckoned his friends to head outside. Harry whistled the two notes. "She should be here soon, if she's within earshot."

"She just comes to you like that?" Hermione asked.

"Yeah." Harry said.

"She's probably the most popular owl in the school." Ron said. 

Harry chuckled, and whistled again.

"Harry," Hermione said suddenly, sharply. "What happened to your hand?"

Oh. Oops. Harry sighed. "Umbridge happened."

"What?" Ron asked, "What's happened with Umbridge?"

Hermione snatched Harry's hand and showed it to Ron. "Oh, look at it! How did she do that-" Hermione stopped abruptly, and her tone shifted from a hot anger to cold concern. "Harry, is that your handwriting?"

"It is." Harry said. "But I don't want to talk about it. Just don't get detention with her, alright?"

"That's what detention with her looks like?" Ron asked, wide eyed.