15: Flirting

"You want to what?" Draco exclaimed.

"I thought I spoke clearly."

"You spoke like a madman!"

"Didn't you just say I was the craziest man you'd ever met?"

"Why do you want to break into the headmaster's office?"

"Because there's a pensieve."

"Pensieve? Do you even know how to-"

Harry smacked his hand to his forehead. "Nevermind. We don't have to break into the headmaster's office."

"Oh, so now you see reason, after you've realized how moroni-"

"No, I know a different place where we could find one."

"Oh really? And where is that?" Draco asked sharply.

Harry groaned, and sat back further into the loveseat. "It doesn't matter anyway."

"And why not?" Draco demanded.

"Because I still don't know how to use my magic."

"Well, then you better get that fixed." Draco said coolly.

"I have no idea where to start! All I know is that- is that... I have exceptional magic, or whatever that means..."

"Figure it out." Draco said.

Harry glared at the ceiling, and worked on finishing his butterbeer.

"You can't tell anyone."

"I thought I already made it clear that I wouldn't." 

"Huh?"

"I told you I wouldn't, back in the library."

"Oh."

Draco looked at Harry. He saw a hint of the scar on his forehead that took the shape of crackling lightning, spider webbing from hairline to temple, to brow, and with a few fissures that crept to the outside of his eye, and to the bridge of his nose. Harry's emerald eyes stared up while his mind spun. 

Draco had always thought there was a sharpness to Harry. There were times when he had seen Harry laughing with his friends, and he'd seemed softer. Then there were times where he was lost in thought, and the sharpness was there. Like now. Other times though, when Harry got angry, that sharpness made him look dangerous. Not wild, frothing at the mouth, bloody claws dangerous- But Draco could see it, especially in Harry's eyes, a calculating intensity, a silent fury.

When Draco was younger, he'd found it unnerving, to have such an enemy. Now he found it distracting for entirely different reasons.

Harry sighed, and finished the last of his drink, before setting the empty glass down and sitting up. He drew his wand, a weary expression on his face.

"Your wand isn't going to help you, you know."

Harry looked at Draco. "What?"

"Did you miss the part where it said that you'll have a harder time using your wand because your magic has changed?" Draco said.

Harry blinked.

Draco sighed, drew his notes out of his bag, and set them on the coffee table. "Your magic isn't compatible with your wand anymore. Not really. You'll have to figure out how to cast spells without it."

"Without my wand..." Harry frowned.

Draco stood, and began to pace the length of their dorm.

"What's your problem?" Harry asked him.