8: Arguments

Harry's sleep was fitful. The green curtains kept startling him awake. When morning came around, he was almost grateful. 

As Zabini and Malfoy got themselves ready, Harry took the moment to properly look around their room. From the door, Malfoy's bed was on the left, and Zabini's on the opposite wall. On the other side of Zabini's bed was a sofa and coffee table. Opposite of the miniature living room was Harry's bed, next to Malfoy's.

Then, across from the door was a private bathroom. Harry figured all the dorms in slytherin were like this. He didn't recall seeing a big washroom off of the common room. Harry would have to get used to that too. In gryffindor, you'd had to go to the common room, and then to the boys' toilets, or the girls'. 

Zabini was out of the bathroom first, and then Malfoy took a fair deal longer. Harry was sure it was because of the hair. Zabini's hair was shorter, and curled in a way that it looked purposeful. 

"Malfoy, would you hurry up? I need to brush my teeth." Harry said.

"And not do anything about that atrocious hair?" Malfoy countered.

For a moment, it was like Harry had the future Malfoy. "No, I think I'll leave it just to bother you."

Harry felt very out of place in the slytherin green robes. "I knew it would bring out the eyes." Zabini said.

Snape walked in, catching the both of them by surprise.

"I need to have a word with Potter." Snape said.

"Right." Zabini said, and made for the door. "See you at breakfast."

Harry waited for Snape to speak.

"I am told you are in possession of a dark object." Snape drawled.

"Well, I'm not." Harry said.

"And that is what someone in your position would say." Snape returned. "Hand it over."

"I don't have whatever you're talking about." Harry said, crossing his arms.

Snape narrowed his eyes. "If you don't hand it over, I will have to search," He drew out the words, "And take it."

"Well, you'd be looking for a long time," Harry said. "Because I don't have a dark object."

"You're not wearing it." Snape said, eyes narrowed. "Unlock your trunk."

Harry did, and then sat on the sofa. It was more of a loveseat, really- too small to be called a sofa. Harry watched as Snape levitated the objects out, and didn't find what he was looking for.

"So Dumbledore's going to ignore me." Harry said.

Snape looked at Harry as his belongings settled back into place.

"That's fine." Harry said. 

"How are you settling?" Snape asked.

"Well, I don't think Malfoy or Zabini are going to kill me." Harry said. "I think that's the best I can get."

Snape turned to the door. "Welcome to slytherin."

"Thanks, I guess." Harry frowned.

~~~

Ron and Hermione were waiting outside the Great Hall for Harry, and made a beeline to him.

"Are you okay? What happened? Oh, bloody hell, do you have to wear those robes?" Ron fired off in rapid succession.

"We'll have to talk to Dumbledore. He has to help, he has to know how dangerous this is." Hermione said.

"You don't understand." Harry said to them, tugging at the green on his robes. "Dumbledore doesn't have the power you think he does."