36: Potter

A few days after Christmas, Harry and Draco silently dressed and slipped out of Number 12 without catching any eyes. Making their way into the Ministry was plenty easy, their innocuous glamours holding up to the passing eyes. 

They made their way to the magical creature registry and resource office. A middle aged witch sat at the desk, even at this hour. She was sketching something to pass the time, but looked up at the creak of the door. 

"Hello gentlemen." She greeted evenly. "What do you need?"

"We need to register an inheritance." Draco said, politely. "And we require subtlety in the matter." 

"Very well." The witch said, setting down her sketchpad and reaching for something behind her. "I'm Ms. Field. Your name, and inheritance please? We shall have to confirm your inheritance, but it shouldn't take long." 

They let their glamours fall, and Ms. Field's eyes went wide. "Harry Potter, Aevumiter." Harry said. 

Ms. Field blinked. "Aevumiter, Mr. Potter?" 

Harry nodded. 

Ms. Field handed him a few papers. "You... Take those. I'll be right back..." She disappeared into a side room. 

Harry took a quill and began filling out the paperwork. The first page was incredibly basic information. 

Ms. Field returned with a box that could hold a fully sized basketball. She set it on the desk, and slid a few pieces of wood aside, so that the box unfolded. Resting on a cushion inside were orbs of various sizes. The largest one at the center was about the size of a large orange, while the others were more like limes. There was complex magic inside the orbs, but it was like it was asleep, dormant and resting.

"Mr. Potter, if you would touch the largest orb, please?" 

Harry glanced at Draco, before doing as Ms. Field asked. As his fingertips touched the glassy surface, Harry both saw and felt the magic come alive. It responded to his magic, and he felt it reaching out to him, as though asking to dance. Curiously, he let his magic connect.

The orbs glowed in various colors, and levitated to hover over the cushion. Slowly and gracefully, they spun in orbit around each other. Like moons around a planet, and planets around a sun. Out of the corner of his eyes, it looked like he could see images on the surface, but when he tried to look and see they vanished from sight. 

"By Merlin..." Ms. Field whispered, in awe. "So you are..." 

"What do I need to do now?" Harry asked, somewhat reluctant to leave the lively magic behind. 

"You can stop if you want." Ms. Field said, distractedly. "No harm done if you continue..." 

"Ms. Field." Draco said, drawing her attention. "We do also need to register our Bond." 

"Oh." Ms. Field blinked. "Yes, I'll get right on that."

~~~

The next Order meeting was held a few days later. Harry and Draco walked in and sat down as though they belonged there. They did, they just hadn't been invited. Several members stared at them expectantly, waiting for them to leave. The room was dead quiet.

Draco raised a nonplussed brow. "Oh, we aren't leaving, if that's what you're waiting for."

"You aren't members." Moody said. 

"Perhaps. But we may as well be, considering all that we've done." Draco said. 

"All that you've done?" Somebody Harry only remembered from a memorial photo asked.