22: Side

Blaise got up in the morning and noticed Harry's empty bed. He didn't think much of it until he went to see if Draco was awake too.  

Blaise pulled the curtain back and found that Draco was not alone. He was fast asleep, nestled with Harry under the covers. Blaise's jaw dropped.

A quiet, dark hoot came from the headboard, and he saw a beautiful snowy owl perched dutifully. The owl's large yellow eyes seemed to glare directly into the depths of Blaise's soul. With an expression of mild panic and fear, Blaise retreated, pulling the curtains closed behind him. "Sorry, sorry, didn't mean to bother you." Blaise whispered to the owl. 

~~~

They both woke together, with their first waking thought in slight confusion before they recalled the night.

"Hey." Harry said softly, his cheeks tinted pink.

Draco awkwardly cleared his throat.

"Um, er- are you okay?" Harry asked.

"I'm fine." Draco said, quietly.

Neither were quite sure what to do. Part of Harry wanted to bolt, to get away from how awkward it was. The other part of Harry really didn't want to leave. Draco wanted to leave to keep some dignity, but he also didn't want to abandon the comfort of Harry's embrace.

Harry sighed, and cast a Tempus. "We're about to miss breakfast."

Draco groaned and got out of bed, Harry following his lead. They rushed to get ready for the day.

"Are we going to talk about that?" Harry asked.

"No." Draco said, blushing.

"Okay." Harry said. "Are we going to ignore it?"

"Isn't that part of not talking about it?" Draco replied.

"Right." Harry said.

Hedwig hooted. 

"Hey Draco?" Harry asked.

"What?"

"When did Hedwig get here?"

"A house elf brought her last night, while you were asleep." Draco said. 

"Oh. Do you know who it was?"

"Dobby." Draco said. "I recognized him. He used to work for my family."

"Dobby." Harry said, standing still.

"Harry?" Draco frowned.

Harry blinked, and shook his head. "Right. Of course he's still alive."

"He died, then?" Draco asked.

"Yeah. In my arms." Harry said, his voice oddly hollow. "I buried him."

"Oh." Draco said. "I'm sorry?"

Harry gave a nod, and whistled for Hedwig to come to his shoulder.

~~~

"Hey Harry!" Hermione greeted cheerily. "You're up late."

"I slept in..." Harry said. Technically it wasn't a lie.

"You're not the only one." Hermione said, looking at Ron out of the corner of her eye.

"Hey!" Ron complained.

"Anyway, I was wondering if you thought about-" Hermione began.

"Teaching Defence?" Harry asked.

"Yes. Have you?" 

"I have." Harry said.

"What do you think?" Ron asked. "Are you gonna do it?"