19: First Names

Over the next week, the frequency in which Draco had strange dreams increased. Draco became certain of one thing. They must have been Harry's memories. That was what they all had in common: Harry and Draco- they were both in every dream.

At first Draco was sure he was imagining it, but then... It was just too real. And when he thought about them, they didn't feel so much like dreams, but more so as actual memories. 

From what Draco could gather, and what his instincts seem to say, was very distinct and peculiar.  The memories pieced together in odd ways, and made connections from supposedly nothing- Draco felt he was missing pieces, yet it still made sense.

Draco had been a Death Eater, or no, he'd had to do some things... His father was in Azkaban. His mother was sorting through the estate. Draco himself was studying, and preparing to be the next Potions professor. 

There were three students in their class that were preparing to be teachers. Harry, Draco, and Neville Longbottom. Longbottom was going to study abroad for a while, and learn as much as he could in person, before Professor Sprout retired. Then the position would be his. Harry and Draco would be professors the following year.

So far the memories he was receiving were from what had been dubbed as his class' "Eighth Year".  It was strange, just knowing the little that he did. Draco could hardly imagine what Harry must be going through.

~~~

The nightmares hadn't ever ended, they hadn't ever gone away. With his heart drumming in his chest, Harry got out of bed, grabbed his map, and snuck out. He didn't walk with a destination in mind, but the walking was almost soothing.

Harry didn't spend much time actually looking at the map, but instead watching the phrases that the marauders would say when he said the wrong thing. It was bittersweet. But Harry took comfort in it. And now, now he could make sure that Moony and Padfoot stayed alive.

Harry turned when a cat's trill sounded in the corridor. Steel padded along beside him as Harry walked and wandered through the corridors. And through the passageways that Harry had discovered with the other eighth years.

Harry found himself enjoying Steel's company. The cat seemed to have a habit of finding him while on his nightly explorations. And for some reason, Harry felt a little bit lighter after. A little less alone. Some nights Hedwig joined them, and Harry got a few laughs out of the two animals' interactions. 

~~~

Harry was convinced that McGonagall's aid qualified for a life debt. Honestly, that's how much it was worth to Harry.

"You seem to be doing rather average." Draco commented quietly to Harry, as professor Flitwick made rounds through the classroom.

"McGonagall is brilliant." Harry said. "She helped me figure it out."

"So you can use your wand again?" Draco asked.

"Oh, no. I'm faking it."

"You are?" Draco's brows rose.

"I'm just holding the wand and making the spell. It's awkward, but hey, I'm not complaining." Harry said happily.

"Not complaining about what?" Blaise asked, tuning into the conversation.

"That I'm not failing to cast my spells." Harry said.

"That's a good thing to not complain about." Blaise agreed. "So what was wrong?"

"I dunno." Harry said.

"Weird." Blaise said. 

Harry missed the brief expression of narrowed eyes from Blaise. Draco lightly glared back at Blaise, and shook his head minutely. Blaise shrugged, and turned back to his charm.