Chapter Forty-Five

Recap 

              I run past him, a smile still making its way onto my face, “Do you have any ice?”

               “No,” He calls out, “Just get something from the freezer—it’ll have to do.”

             I do as he says and open the freezer lid. The chill hits my bare arms, and I shudder before rummaging through the frozen bags section. I pull out a bag of frozen brussel sprouts and hurry my way over to him.

               Seated in the very chair Layla was in earlier, he extends a hand as I get closer to him.

              When I’m in reach, he snatches the bag and applies it with care to his swelling patch of skin. I stand on the other side of the island counter and observe the way the bad boy is gripping a bag of frozen brussel sprouts to his injury.

             “Stop.” He orders, glaring at me.

             I shake my head, convincing myself more than him, that I’m not smiling.

           “Okay, maybe this is somewhat funny.” Travis admits soon.

            I glance up at him in surprise, a grin spreading across my features in the same way a smirk is appearing on his.

               And in this moment, I let myself relish the happy moment.

               For I know that when I’m all alone again, the rage will consume me.

                                      Chapter Forty Five 

              The rest of the morning went dangerously well. While Layla declared she was a walking trashcan in desperate need of a soothing shower, I resumed making breakfast for the three of us. Aside from nearly chopping the cutting board in half with the excessive force I was utilizing to slice the mushrooms, it appears nothing in the kitchen had my death wish. 

                Travis also explained to me what he was doing up so early. It turns out he had gone to drop off his mother and Mason at a family friend’s home up north.

                 “I don’t think Mom and Mason would stand much of a fighting chance here.” He had explained, figuratively weighing the odds, “Tara, the family friend, understands my family—much more than I do—and has always been willing to watch over us. Cassie adored Tara like she was her second mother.”

               He didn’t elaborate any futher on the last point, and I didn’t press on the subject either. His words simply floated in the air, laced with sorrow, and then dissolved in our silence. When I asked him if she knew about the gang trouble, he shook his head sternly.

                “No, no one knows.” He shoots me a pointed look before continuing, “—but I’m sure she knows something is off—she’s just has a lot of faith in me.”

             Nonetheless, it makes me feel better to know that both Mason and his mother are safe and protected. And judging by the ease in Travis’s demeanor, he thinks so too.

           “Okay,” I forward on the counter, “So what’s the plan now?”

          “What do you mean?” Travis arches an eyebrow after pushing his empty plate away in satisfaction.

           I look around, slightly confused, “Well, now that Mason and your mom are safe and sound, we can actually finish this.”

            He drops his brow, his features tensing, “I thought I made it clear that we were going to lie low.”