Chapter Eighteen

It's been forever. I know. 

***Unedited.***

Can I get I get more comments than votes please? 

VOMMENT. 

xxSummerxx

                                                    ╰☆╮

                                                Recap

             “So is that a yes?” I press, not able to conceal my eagerness.

            I can almost see her smirking as I ask her those words.

            “That depends,” She responds coolly, “Are you free Monday?”

            Without hesitation, I respond, “Absolutely.”

            “Great,” She chirps, “Meet me at the Lacrosse game by the bleachers.”

            “Sweet,” I agree, turning around to take one more glance for any sign of Travis.

            I’m about to hang up when Ashley’s voice prevents me from doing so.

            “Hey Faye?” She asks, her voice deathly curious. I don't respond and instead pause, wating for her to ask her question. When she notices that I'm still there, she asks, “What made you change your mind?”

            I heave a sigh and shake my head; the question sounds so simple, yet it's really much more complicated than that.

                At first, I just wanted to mend Travis to fix myself. Now although a part of me still wants to do that, I feel there is no way he'd ever let me. The only time I got close enough to finding out was when he was drunk. Even then, he wasn't topped enough to pour his guts out without realizing it.

                Finally, I smile a humorless curve, then smirk,  “Well, someone has to play with fire.” 

                                                  Chapter Eighteen

          Seeing as it is Saturday, and I had been sitting in my room all day, Layla pulled me out and forced me to go on a walk with her. Why, I don’t exactly understand, considering it’s nearly 85 degrees out. And along with the heat comes humidity—something I really had no understanding of back in Boston.

         I had insisted that we instead just go in the waves on the beach, but she wanted to ‘get out’, far away. It strikes me as strange when I think of how this is her idea of rebellious when Laura and dad are out for the evening.

         “Of all things,” I speak aloud, “You chose a deathly stroll when the parents aren’t home?”

        Layla looks up from her phone as we enter the school grounds—yes, the school—and shoots me a peeved look.

        “They took the cars.” She defends, shrugging her shoulders.

       “We both know if you wanted one of those cars, you could’ve gotten them.” I say, raising an eyebrow.

        She looks up again and smiles, “Yeah you’ve got a point.”

        I huff, half annoyed and half amused, and look up at the sky.

        “And of all places,” I press, “You chose to go to school?”

    “Would you have much rather gone shopping?” She entices, her voice coming out feign and enthusiastic.