Chapter Twenty-Nine

Recap

              2 minutes 12 seconds.

            His hand reaches my torso and forcefully pushes me against the wall. I let out a raw grunt as he does so, and I allow my free hand to grasp his wrist. My breathing is completely disoriented and the side of my chest begins to ache with increasing intensity. Travis glances down briefly, his chest heaving as well, and gently places a finger to his lips as if to motion for me to dim down my panting.

            Suddenly, Scarface’s mate jumps around the right corner with a grin on his face, the gun pointed at the two of us. Travis pushes me back and raises his own pointedly at the man.

            1 minute 56 seconds

           “Got you.” A dreaded voice comes from behind.

            Travis stiffens, his arms faltering.

          The sound of another trigger clicking rings in my ears. Slowly, I clamp my eyes shut, not able to think of anything but the mess we had gotten ourselves into. Travis curses under his breath just as my stomach drops even further down. A small, tingling sensation begins to erupt at the top of my scalp, quickly inching its way down to my toes. A sharp sting travels throughout my body and I subconsciously realize I’m going into shock and paralysis at the same time.

            And then, moments before I completely lose it, I hear a faint sound.

            Sirens.  

                                           Chapter Twenty Nine

               1 minute and 45 seconds. 

              From the corner of my eye, I gasp as I feel a bullet scathe past my arm, an excruciating trail of sting electrifying the flesh. In complete shock, I continue to stare down at my arm, waiting for the blood to begin flow out like they did in the movies.

               Instead, I begin to feel nothing.

              A cold, distant numbness glazes over my body.

        My fingers begin to shake, if they hadn’t been already, and the speed at which they quiver increases. Soon, rackets of waves circulate my entire body—head to toe.

            Despite this, I am still able to hear everything and everyone around me—The heavy breathing, the laughing, the hushed murmurs.

              “It hurts doesn’t it?”

            The one question rings clear amidst the clatter, and I slowly shift my gaze over to the one who spoke those words.

              Scarface, grinning with pride, pointedly motions towards my arm. He slowly inches his left hand alongside the edge of the gun, almost as if to tantalize the power it holds.

               1 minute 37 seconds.

                 It’s just a scratch

                I remind myself, nothing more.

           “How mad do you think James will be when he finds out that you didn’t kill me and you got arrested?” Travis suddenly spits out, his voice hard and undetectable.

               With his back still facing me, Travis indicates towards sound of the sirens.

              “Travis—“ I warn, surprised by the way my voice delivers. Clear cut, despite my complete shock.