Chapter Forty-Three

Recap

        Suddenly, I feel a soft touch barely below injury on my upper arm. I flinch in surprise and jerk my head to stare down. I stare in complete shock as Travis presses his lips to the skin once again.

            “What—“ I begin airily.

            He straightens in his position but his thumb never leaves my arm.

            “You should never be glad you’re hurt—because watching that bullet even brush you—it scared the living daylight out of me. ” He bends down to look at me.

            Just as I open my mouth to speak, we hear a bang behind the door.

            Travis and I fly apart, nearly running into opposite walls, when the door flies open. Layla bursts through, completely unapologetic to her behavior, and marches right over to me.

            I stand frozen, completely aware that my arm is entirely visible to her eyes. In an instant, she grabs my opposite shoulder and pushes me so that she gets a full frontal view of the marks.

            Anger, full fledged rage, crosses her beast like features. She holds the phone up—the screen paused on a scene where my patched up shoulder could be slightly visible through my jacket slip.

            Layla reaches across the room and grabs my jacket off the floor before tossing it to me.

            “I knew it.” She growls, looking between the two of us, “Explain to me everything—all the way up to why my sister has been shot!”             

                                      Chapter Forty Three                               

           “Layla,” Travis begins again cautiously, holding one hand between Layla and I.

                His first few attempts at calming her down were utter failures, and I don’t think I was able to contribute positively either. Layla is fuming, and I’ve never seen her so angry before.

                She points a finger at Travis and bites out in a low growl, “Tell me to calm down one more time, and you can say goodbye to your balls.”

               Silence echoes in the claustrophobic bathroom while she spits out the ridiculously believable threat. Despite her serious tone, Travis stares down at her in irritation and astonishment.

             “Fine,” He replies in a harsher, forced tone, “Then why don’t we go someplace and talk this out.”

            Layla is already shaking her head ferociously from side to side, “No. I want to know right here, right now.”

            Another moment of tension passes before she suddenly whips around to throw her full wrath in my direction.

            “Actually,” She states, sarcasm dripping in her sweet tone, “I want you to explain.”

        I open my mouth to speak, but Travis cuts in again, causing her to whirl around to face him instantly.

        “We can both explain everything to you,” He emphasizes, “someplace else.”

            “I really don’t understand why we can’t do this now.” She snaps bitterly.

        Travis drops his hand to his side in agitation and flashes me agony filled glance before turning on his heel to walk out of the bathroom. He grabs the notch and twists, pulling the door open and heading out as Layla hisses for him to come back.