Gay Jokes and Play Rehearsal

I simultaneously love this chapter and want to watch it burn in a dumpster fire. Enjoy lmao! 

Evan scanned his eyes around the cafeteria, watching as people flooded in and out of the sizeable room through the large wooden doors. It was a rather frequent habit of his, sitting out on the sideline, invisible, and watching scenes fold out before him. However, today there was another motive behind his gaze raking over the crowds, searching for something that was not yet clear to him.   

And though Evan would never admit it, to himself or anyone else, a small voice in the back of his head knew he was looking for Connor.  

Evan was seated at his standard table in the left corner of the room, full lunch tray still sitting in front of him, untouched. He peeled his eyes from the doorway when the overflow of people had disintegrated into nothing and stared down at his plate.  

The slight disappointment at Connor's absence made no sense to Evan. Everyday he sat alone or with Jared, although there wasn't much difference, considering most of lunch he simply tuned out Jared and his bullshit insults.                               

Evan, eventually deciding he needed to eat something, picked an apple off the tray. It was one of the few things that actually looked edible. As he bit into the apple, there was a series of loud noises behind him before a backpack was rather suddenly thrown on the table, startling Evan and causing him to briefly choke.   

Unable to see the source of the thrown backpack, a small, inexplicable flare of hope ignited in Evan as he waited, hoping to see Connor. 

"Well, hello there, Evan."    

The hope flickered out and died at the sound of the all too familiar voice.     

"Oh, hey Jared." Evan responded meekly as he watched Jared pull out a chair and sit across from him. 

"So, why were you late today?" he asked, propping both of his feet up on the chair beside him before pulling a smaller bag out of his backpack.   

Evan debated telling Jared, knowing there would be countless jokes and jibes following the truth. But Evan was also a horrid liar and Jared would be able to see right through whatever fabrication he came up with.  

Trying to show some form of confidence, he attempted to look Jared in the eye, but Evan eventually averted his gaze to the side, "I was with C-" he started before noticing what Jared had pulled out of the small bag. "Why do you have a bath bomb?"  

"Don't worry about it. So anyway, did you and Murphy bone down yet or what?"   

"God, I hate you." 

"No, you love me." Jared smirked and tossed the brightly colored bath bomb in the air, catching it and setting on the table in front of him.   

"Despite you and your relentless bullshit, I do." Evan responded crossing his arms in front of him, before remembering the cast and deigned to set them in his lap. He watched as Jared's confident smirk faltered the tiniest bit before returning in full force. 

"You're not going to eat that, are you?" Evan asked, motioning to the object in Jared's hand. He just shrugged in response. 

"What can I say, I love the cronch." 

"Jared, that could kill you." 

"It'll just speed up the process." 

"Oh my god."                      

Eventually, the two boys settled into a comfortable silence and Jared never did end up eating a bath bomb. There was maybe fifteen minutes left in their lunch period when the chair next to Evan pulled out and the one and only Connor Murphy slumped into it. 

"H-hi." Evan stuttered, looking over to Jared for help, though he should've know that would only make the situation worse. 

"So, Connor..." he drawled out, looking over to Evan, a shit eating grin plastered across his face completely oblivious to Evan's pleading eyes, "Evan here has been waiting for you this entire time until I graciously swooped in and saved him in your absence. Care to tell us where you've been?" 

Connor just huffed out a breath before quietly responding, "I was in the bathroom, didn't feel like going to class."  

"And what were you doing in the bathroom, may I ask?"  

"Thinking."     

"About what?" 

"Jared..." Evan started, before he was cut off again. 

"About Evan?"  Jared's tone at this point was almost accusatory, but it was still heavily laced with his typical sarcasm.  

The entire table went dead silent, and if Evan hadn't been so focused on Connor's response, he would have missed the taller boy's sharp intake of breath. Unfortunately, this detail did not go unnoticed by Jared either, and he threw his hands up in the air. 

"I was right again, ladies and gentlemen! Connor Murphy was in the bathroom, thinking of Evan. I can only assume he was sitting there rubbing his nipples and moaning with delight." 

"Kleinman, I am going to kill you and everyone you love." Connor growled, the plastic bottom of the chair making an ear splitting noise against the floor as he pushed it back, standing up. In fear he was actually going to hurt Jared, Evan grabbed onto Connor's arm, the familiar fabric once again bunched up in his hands. 

Connor looked down at him, and Evan couldn't tell if he imagined Connor's eyes softening as they stared down at him. But he didn't have to time to analyze because Connor plopped back down in his seat, shooting one final glare at Jared, who was still smiling away. 

"Sorry, today has just been hard." Connor apologized to Evan. 

"Hard?"  Jared chimed in, chuckling to himself. He really didn't know when to shut up. 

"Has been bad-" 

"BAD?"  

"Today has been rough, all right." Connor spat out, crossing his arms and staring down Jared. 

"KINKY!" Jared yelled at the top of his lungs. The bell then rung, saving Jared from getting murdered as he grabbed his bag and began to head towards the door. Evan and Connor followed. Just as they were about to leave, Jared turned towards Evan, completely ignoring Connor. 

"Hey, we're still good to hang out after school today right?" he asked, shrugging his bag further onto his shoulder, smiling. 

"U-um," Evan stuttered out. He had completely forgotten he'd made plans with Jared, and he already told Connor that he could help Evan rehearse. The two boys were looking at him expectantly, and Evan felt like he was going to burst into tears, and so he practically vomited out the words.  "JaredimreallysorrybutItoldConnorhecouldhelpmerehearseforaudiotionsmymomsignedmeupforandicanttodaybutwecanhangouttomorrowifyouwanttopleasedonthateme."  

"Slow down, man." Jared said, putting a hand on his shoulder. Jared was an asshole, sure, but he was still a good friend. Evan's breathing was heavy and the two other boys were trying to calm him down. "It's alright, I can wait until tomorrow, just relax." 

Evan nodded, and he heard Connor mumble a small 'thank you' to Jared. Jared just nodded in response before walking off. Evan then turned to Connor, not knowing what to say as he was still in the process of calming the fuck down. 

"Are you alright?" he asked, clearly concerned. Evan slowly nodded before grabbing back onto Connor's sleeve. For some reason, this seemed to calm him and he returned to his average state. 

"Come on, let's get to class." Connor prompted, tugging Evan along. 

The rest of the day went by in a blur, but not once did Evan let go of Connor's sleeve.