Happy Beginnings

Evan stared down at his arm. 

He could feel Connor's presence beside him, radiating anxiety with every passing second. 

Connor Murphy is asking me to prom. 

Connor. Murphy. Is. Asking. Me. To. The. God. Damn. Prom. 

Well, I'm not gonna say no. 

Evan inhaled, prepared to blurt out a yes, but no words came out. Because this is how his mind liked to screw with him. A thousand questions rushed in, a thousand things that could go wrong. 

What if he means just as friends?  

He could mean that instead right, maybe I misread the whole situation? 

Thought after thought, question after question. He could have been there for 3 hours or 30 seconds. But the flow didn't stop. And in the end, it all came down to Zoe. 

Zoe Murphy. 

The girl Evan had been pining for the last three years.

And sister to his other crush, Connor Murphy. 

Damn it, Evan. Pick a Murphy sibling to have a crush on and stick with it. 

He'd come to terms with his bisexuality the moment he'd started falling for Connor, because holy shit who was going to say no to that? 

And this thought led Evan to realize that he'd managed to form a deeper bond with Connor in the four months they'd been friends than with Zoe in the last three years. 

Connor was who he wanted to be with. 

Friend or more than friend, Evan wanted this boy in his life.   

He was about to respond once again, before a voice broke him from his thoughts.  

"Evan Hansen! I love you, but come on just say yes!" Heidi yelled from across the room, and he realized Connor was not the only one watching him, waiting for a response. 

Surprisingly, Evan smiled and turned back to Connor, who was still waiting with anxious eyes. 

"Yes." he managed, throat closing up. Evan felt like he was going to cry. From the newfound realization, from the fact that Connor was sitting here in front of him, anxious but still full of patience, from how much his life had changed since he'd met this gorgeous, amazing boy. 

And it was Connor's smile that sent him over the edge. 

He hugged the taller boy, tears escaping despite his attempts to hold them back. Evan didn't care they were in the middle of a doctor's appointment, he didn't care about anything really right now. Just the feeling of Connor against him, the warmth radiating off his body, was enough. 

"Thank you." he heard Connor whisper, and Evan smiled. 

It wasn't the end, not even close. 

But Evan would settle for a happy beginning.