Small World

Connor was still grinning in his seat as he stared up at the stage. Evan was stumbling through a conversation with another girl who was performing in the play. Christine Canigula, Connor remembered.   

Evan had said yes. He was officially going to prom with his best friend. 

Connor hadn't smiled this much in years. He had yet to tell anyone, deciding it would be better to revel in his own silent victory. He took in the room around him. Whoever funded their small group had somehow given them enough money to rent out an actual auditorium, with an actual stage, and lights, and basically everything you would need to put on a half decent show. 

Evan had stopped talking to Christine and was now working through his lines. Connor's eyes didn't leave his crush, at least not until a figure dressed in black sunk down into the seat beside him.  

"Hello there." they said, and Connor turned to see the source of the voice. 

"J.D.?" 

The boy nodded in recognition. Jason Dean, or J.D. as he preferred to be called, was the closest thing Connor had to a childhood friend.  Their mothers had hung out regularly, forcing the two boys to do the same. Connor had actually experienced some good times with the boy dressed in black, they were both two kids who shared similar interests and didn't really have anyone else to call a friend, but after J.D.'s mother had died in an explosion, they had stopped hanging out.  

It was a shock seeing him now. They had both been fairly young when they'd fallen out of touch, and now here he was, 17 years old. And though J.D. was significantly taller, the features Connor recognized were still there.  The same sharp angles of his face, the same skinny but muscular frame, and the same shaggy dark hair, though he'd shortened it quite a bit. 

"What are you doing here?" Connor asked, crossing his arms over his chest and leaning back in the seat, returning his eyes back to Evan. 

"A friend of mine is supposed to be performing in this play of yours, I'd thought I'd pay her a visit." J.D. scowled at the word, running a hand through his tangled hair. 

"Who?" he inquired, looking around the stage. 

"Girl in blue to the left of the stage." his old friend jerked his chin in the general direction. 

"Veronica?" Connor didn't talk to anyone in this small group of there's, but he'd taken the time to put names to faces. 

J.D. simply hummed in response, nodding his head. Veronica didn't seem like the type to hang around with J.D., but he supposed the same thing could be said about him and Evan. 

"Small world." Connor mumbled, glancing over to the boy next to him. 

"Indeed. So, forgive my rudeness, but has your gay ass self managed to hook up with anyone yet?" J.D. said, casually taking a sip of the slushie in his hand as if he hadn't just asked Connor that question. 

"How did you know I was-" 

"I have my ways, Connor. Plus we were friends for a good four years, I noticed things. I'm not the clueless, harmless edgy kid people think I am."  

Connor remained silent as his eyes drifted back towards the boy in the center of the stage. He actually looked... happy. It was strange seeing him without a cast on, but now his left arm was free of it's confinement and Evan could use it as he wished. Connor was trying to hide his smile from J.D., but as the boy had said himself earlier, he noticed things. 

"Evan Hansen, huh?" J.D. said, a shit eating grin replacing the blank, uninterested expression that marked his face prior. Connor was confused about how he knew Evan, and the defensive side of him rose up as he gritted his teeth and growled out, "How do you know him-" 

"This would be a lot easier if you refrained from asking questions about how I know things." 

Connor rolled his eyes, his personality hadn't changed a bit. 

"Fine. What is it exactly you want to know?" 

"Now those are the questions I want to hear. Are you dating?" 

"N-no. I mean, I don't think so." 

"Hm." J.D. hummed, staring intently at Veronica. "Then he said no?" 

"To what?" 

"You asked him to Prom not but two hours ago, right?" 

"How the hell-" 

"I told him." another voice said from behind Connor. A familiar voice. Connor turned in his seat and saw none other than Jared Kleinman standing there, grinning his ass off. 

"Thanks J.D." he said, turning to the boy next to Connor. 

"You're welcome. Where's my money?" J.D. said, devoid of emotion as he stood and held out his hand. Connor watched, confused, as Jared slipped him a 50 and motioned for him to leave. Before he did so, the shaggy haired boy turned and looked down at him, the barest hints of a real smile on his face. 

"It was good to see you again." 

"You too." Connor said, staring up at him. He was still beyond confused. His eyes trailed J.D. as he left, and Jared quietly slipped into the seat beside him. 

"What the fuck was that?" Connor asked, turning to Jared, scowl returning. 

"J.D. owed me a favor. I just wanted to make sure... just don't hurt Evan, okay?" 

"What are you talking about?" Connor was seething now. Who did Jared think he was, sending his childhood friend to interrogate him about shit that was none of his business. 

"He likes you, Connor. A lot. I can see it every time he looks at you. So if something goes wrong, or things don't work out, just be gentle with him, okay? Because that boy doesn't deserve any more pain."   

Connor felt his anger slowly drain out, it wasn't gone completely, but it certainly lessened. 

"I swear to you, I will do nothing to cause him pain. Ever." Connor said, his face blank but his voice full of truth. 

"Good. Then I'll see you at prom." Jared's grin was back, gentler this time. And Connor couldn't refrain himself from smirking the tiniest bit. 

"See you." 

And just like that, Jared was gone.

Connor stood from his chair after glancing at the time, they would be leaving soon. Evan came stumbling down the stairs to the side of the stage, smiling up at Connor. They made light conversation on the way to the car, until Evan suddenly blurted out a question. 

"Who was that you were talking to earlier?" 

"An old friend." 

"Just a friend?" Evan said, trying to mask the worry in his voice with awkward laughter. Jared's words were still ringing in his head, He likes you. A lot.  And Connor couldn't keep his smile hidden as he said, "Yeah. Just a friend."