02 | Charity Cases

I open my eyes and panic for a moment before realizing it's Saturday. The window spreads a warm yellow light across the attic floor, it must be later in the afternoon. I slowly sit up before stretching my arms and yawning. My mouth is stale and sleep is encrusted on the corners of my eyes.

I click my tongue softly as I make my way toward the ladder, the old wooden planks creaking under my weight, Ada's in her bed and is snoring softly, I smile at the sight. Once in the bathroom, I take care of my business and return to the attic to change. My wristwatch reads nine thirty, my guess of noon was completely off. I take my time in getting dressed since there's not much for me to do except lessons with Ada.

"Rita, you up there?" My dad's voice doesn't alarm me but it confuses me, he's usually asleep right now. He works third shift so I never really see him, that is unless I wake up at 5 AM. (which I don't)

"Yea, just getting dressed," I answer quietly, hoping Ada won't wake up. "I'll be down in a minute."

When I finally made it downstairs, I found my dad sitting at the kitchen table with a cup of coffee in his hand. "Want some?" I nod and take the mug from his outstretched hand. "Your mother told me what happened yesterday, are you interested?" His voice is neutral, curse him and his knowledge of body language.

The hot drink burns my tongue but I ignore the pain, using it as a way to avoid the question. Or at least put it off a few seconds. My neck itches as I consider how intrigued I actually am... I thought over it all night. "Yes, Baba... obviously." Unlike my dad, my voice exposes the nervousness I'm feeling. I run a finger around the top of the mug, there's a chip near the handle and it nearly cuts my skin.

My father's smile is sleepy, so are his eyes. But they're still warm and comforting, the eyes of the man who has always loved me. "Thought as much, have you considered which faction you may choose?" I choke and go into a coughing fit. His eyes widen with concern as he pats my back carefully.

"God," I cough one more time and set the mug on the counter, "Do you really think I even considered that? I mostly worried about you guys, to be honest." I say it quieter than I intended, sort of embarrassed to admit I care about my family. "I mean- I know which factions I'd never go into."

Our eyes meet as we talk over one another, "Abnegation," We laugh at the coincidence.

"Why do you hate them so much?"

I sigh, "Baba, I don't hate them. I just- I don't like how they pity us. They look at us like charity cases, when a lot of us are better off without them."

He agrees with a nod of his head, "Did you consider Candor?" I roll my eyes at him and smack his arm. "Okay, okay, you haven't figured it out yet. That's alright," I notice how his expression turns serious, "But I think you should do it, Rita." He sounds sincere and it makes my heart hurt.

"Rita, Habibi... sometimes you have to put yourself first. Sometimes you're all you'll have and I need you to know that it's okay to leave people behind."

I cover my face with my hands and nod, "I know,' Another sigh escapes my lips, "but it's hard to do that to you guys." I explain, all while speaking through the space between my hands.

"Whatever you choose, I will back you up. I promise." His hands bring mine away from my face just as a smile creeps up on me, I hug my dad tightly as if he's going to disappear on me.

I WATCH AS Ada finishes up her math work, it's nothing too difficult but I can sense she's having a bit of trouble from the way she furrows her brow. Some people would interfere and try to help her, but I know how Ada is... and interrupting her train of thought is the worst thing I could do right now.

Words escape me when I stare back down at the task at hand; grading papers. I can't bear to read anything right now, the words are all too small and too close for me to handle. I rub my hands up and down my face then close the folder, it can wait until later to be finished.

"I'm done, Ritty." Ada pushes the sheet across the table for me to look over. "Are you okay?" Her voice is soft and light, why is she so good at that?

"Just a little tired, how did you do?" She shrugs which makes me laugh, I begin going through her work and writing notes here and there. Ada watches quietly while I do so. "Hmm, I think you're gonna be happy, you got everything right. You multiplied weird but still got the right answer," I explain and Ada's face lights up, she's always enjoyed doing a good job on her school work.

I draw a smiley face beside her name and hand it back to her, she runs off; probably to brag to baba that she did well. Ada's always made me laugh, it's only been six years since we got her but I don't think the family would be the same without her.

My back cracks when I twist in my seat and my knuckles do the same when I squeeze my hands into fists. Mom hates when I crack my joints but I love the crunching sound so much. Even though my brain feels a little fried, I force myself to try and work on grading those papers again. Getting a few done now is better than nothing, right?

 Getting a few done now is better than nothing, right?