05 | Rita Forgets Their Anniversary

Tris should have clarified what she meant when she said 'It'll be fun!' as she dragged me away from my work. I didn't like that we were heading toward the train or that there was a group of initiates with us.

"This better not be the cable ride down The Hancock building again, Tris." I warn and she shakes her head.

"It's not! It's fun, I swear! Don't you like swimming?"

I shrug, "I mean, I guess I do? What's that got to do with anything?!"

Tris really is an oddity since we're Dauntless now. "Well, there's this pond we found and we're gonna have some fun with the initiates." We.

"Chris put you up to this, didn't she?" She doesn't answer–which ironically, answers my questions. "Who else is coming?"

"Everybody, come on! Initiates!" Tris shouts, "We're going to board the train and when we start jumping, you do too! Understand?!" A bunch of them shout an answer back and it surprises me. They seem pretty excited, "Oh they know exactly what we're doing. Unlike Eric, I like to warn them. Those who can't swim don't have to come so we won't be tormenting them."

I won't lie, I'm glad she brought me. The water is cool and there's enough space that I can sit by myself. I managed to find a pair of thin leggings and a dark t-shirt to swim in. It's a bit uncomfortable but I don't mind.

"I've never swam before," Chris admits, seeking refuge from the initiates in the nook I found. "Have you?"

"Not much, Tamino and I would collect rainwater and dump it into this big basin when we were children, we outgrew the basin pretty quickly," I explain.

She nods and slowly leans back in the shallow water, "It feels so nice–it's been so hot in the compound."

I laugh as I hold onto a rock behind me so I'm floating. "You're the one who chose an apartment above ground!"

"I should have suspected something was wrong when they let us have it no problem!" Will and Chris got a place together and it's honestly so cute.

"Definitely–the apartment is kind of stuffy lately but I just turn the AC on."

She groans, "We don't have one! I can't even find any! Between training and other responsibilities, I have no time to look for one either."

"I can get one for you, just remind me tomorrow." Oh shit, tomorrow. I panic for a second as I remember what tomorrow is and fall into the water. Once I get a hold of the rock, I drag myself into the shallow water. "I uh–I have to go, tell Tris I said this was fun! Fuck!" I bet seeing me run toward the tracks stumbling as I try to pull my shoes on is entertaining for the kids.

So many curses fall from my lips as I run at full speed, soon the wetness of my clothing gets hot and it feels like I'm boiling alive. Thankfully the train is coming this way and I slow down as it approaches. Jumping onto it is like second nature now, I don't even have to think. I wave bye to everyone as it yanks me away.

My shirt is dry by the time I return–I hung outside of the door so I could do so. I run through the compound, saying quick 'hellos' to people as I rush on by. "Fuck, fuck, fuck," My knuckles crack as I clench and relax my hands around nothing. "Oh fuck," I groan as I fight to unlock the door to our apartment.

I sing a song of profanities as I pull my clothes off, my eyes set on the bathroom. I'm kicking my damp leggings off as I push back the glass door to the shower. "I'm gonna scream..." I whine as the water pressure seems to be quite bad again. My head cap feels like it's glued to my head.

The fight ensues and somehow–I win. I pant, leaning over the sink as I look at my crazed expression. I cannot believe I forgot about our anniversary. I shower as fast as I can–only being gentle when washing my hair. It's gotten so long it's beginning to annoy me. But I have it hidden away most of the time.

I don't even bother to dry it, I do two braids down each side of my head and then get dressed. The pit is my current destination. With design on my person, I set off. I was meant to do this a week ago but things got a bit hectic so I had to push it back.

Plus I didn't want to risk him seeing it.

Billie waits for me patiently in the back room. "Hey, girl! You ready?" I nod my head quickly, "Wow, you look a bit..."

"Crazy? That's because I remembered I had this appointment when I was almost an hour away swimming in a pond!" She laughs as I sit down in the seat, handing her the small sheet of paper. The design is simple, ¾. Tobias and I, three and four–fears, that is.

"I've been there a few times, it's magical. This is going on your two fingers right?" I nod my head, "Okay," She preps everything before transferring the design onto my skin. "I love doing small tattoos, they're so fun."

Her passion for her work really shines through in the finished tattoos she does. I've gotten... maybe six or seven since initiation.

They're scattered everywhere. I've got a rose beneath my ear, a fake ring on my right hand, my ma's handwriting 'my phoenix' across my neck as a sort of permanent necklace, an actual rendition of a phoenix under my other ear, a matching tattoo Tris and Christina also have, and a drop of blood in the palm of my left hand.

The neck tattoo hurt the worst. I cried when I got that one.

Billie begins working immediately, "This should only take about ten minutes." For the rest of the time we sit silently, I watch her work and do my best to not clench my fists. The needle is tiny and presses into my skin so fast that it merely itches.

She tattoos a ¾ onto my left middle and ring fingers respectively. The ten minutes are up before I even know it. Billie presses the napkin onto my fingers and chuckles when I wince.

"It didn't hurt but now it does," I say, she spins in her chair to gather her things. "Oh wow, this is pretty, Billie. I love it."

"Simple tattoos really are my strong suit, I can clean it up in six months if need be. Thin lines fade fast."

I nod, "Okay, thank you! I appreciate you meeting me at such an awkward time, I've got to run!" The pit has begun filling up, I see the new initiates wandering around and some of my own friends.

Chris and Will are on their way toward the tattoo parlor when I run into them, "Hey, Rita! You... you okay?"

I barely hear her question, "Hmm? Oh yea, I'm fine... just... just running behind."

She shouts, "Oh yea! Shit! It's your anniversary isn't it?" I nod shakily, "Do you need help?"

"Oh please!" I hug her without a second thought. "I just need someone to get these things from the shops while I try to make us some dinner."

They share a look and I see Chris arguing to help me with her eyes, Will sighs, "Rita, you're so lucky she loves you."

"I know, thank you so, so much, Christina."