Asymptotes [Fredo V. E.]

"My dear son..." Fredo purposely dragged off in a teasing way towards Cale.

Cale just crossed his arms in response and leisurely sat at the comfortable couch he was on. He decided that ignoring the vampire was the best possible action.

"Hm, it looks like my son is being cold once again. How can you ignore your father like this?"

"If you wanted a son, go make your own one, stop with your nonsense."

"....."

Perhaps Cale's statement hit a nerve since it made the vampire duke stop for a moment.

"Hahaha, of course, son. You should've just told me you wanted a sibling."

Of course, the keyword was 'for a moment'. It did not take too long for Duke Fredo to regain his composure, and be back to his teasing.

Cale stared at him, deadpanned at his words.

"Excuse me? A sibling, really?"

Well, two can play at that game.

"Why yes, of course, my son."

Like father like son, it may seem, these two just have big prides that cannot be thrown away, in a 'just like that' predicament.

Now, it's just a matter of who would give in first, and it certainly doesn't look like it would be Cale.

"But I would still like to know who my mother is."

And with that, his so called father froze.

"Ah..that. Wouldn't you like to know?"

"Why of course. As your child, your son, I would like to know. It's just a speculation, but it is Solena, is she not?"

The obvious look of confusion on Fredo's face also spread a look of confusion onto Cale's face.

"Huh? Excuse me?"

"Huh?"

"Huh?"

"Was I wrong?"

"Yes...very."

'Why would you even think that?' Fredo thought Cale was going crazy, at his speculation.

Pride be damned, his curiosity will surely kill him. He voiced out his thoughts.

"Why exactly did you came up with such a speculation?"

"It's because it looks like you trust her the most, and she's your right hand man-well, woman. Right?"

"I trust her yes, and she is my right hand. But no, she is not my mate."

Crap, at the moment Fredo wanted to curse his tongue. The very moment he spoke the word 'mate', Cale already began smirking.

With the cutest voice he could muster, Cale spoke with an innocent child's tone.

"Father...has a mate..?"

Ooh, a landslide. Cale stepped on a landmine ready to explode at any given moment. The bitter expression on Fredo's face brought more motivation to tease him. But the earnest sigh coming out of his mouth was not the reply Cale was planning on earning.

With a small smile that didn't quite reach his eyes, unlike the light grins he showed Cale, Fredo gripped the teacup within his hands. The lemon tea within in half empty, following the direction of his shaking hands.

"Should I tell you a story about how I met someone?" Fredo's gaze lingered outside, sullenly. It felt like a wise old man, reminiscing with a wistful stare. The falling of the leaves of wisteria trees seemed appropriate for the current predicament they were in at the moment.