marlene's wisdom

chapter eleven : marlene's wisdom

"I didn't understand, at first. And I'm sorry for that, I am, and I'm trying to better myself because of that. But I think I get it now. Protect your peace, Evelyn."

                 HALLOWEEN ARRIVED SWIFTLY AND in a hurricane of hurry. 

There was an annual ball, but only for sixth and seventh years, which meant that although Eve herself couldn't go - along with Regulus, Narcissa, Barry, and Rabastan - her older friends could, and the two eldest girls in particular were in a mad rush to find a suitable gown. 

So on the morning of October thirty first, Eve was roused by Bella and Andi, who had together figured out the riddle on the Ravenclaw knocker and promptly bullied a few first years into telling them where to find the fifth year dorms. 

"It's barely nine," Eve groaned, but dragged herself out of bed and into the bathroom nonetheless. She brushed her teeth and dressed quickly, lazily brushing the tangles out of her hair and not bothering to use a glamour to hide the dark circles beneath her eyes. 

Andi shoved a thick sweater at her as they walked down the steps, muttering about irresponsible hypothermia, and only stopped when Bella gave her a playful slap on the back of her head. 

"There you guys are!" a familiar blonde exclaimed, linking her left arm with Eve's right and practically dragging her down a staircase. "Oh, here-" she handed Eve a still-warm pastry filled with strawberry jam, smiling prettily. 

"No coffee?" Eve asked, a big pout on her lips.

Narcissa laughed. "No way! It's gross, and it make you hyper-"

"And it's muggle," Bella said, wrinkling her noise theatrically. 

Eve gave her a look and Bella swung her hands up in defeat, muttering a half hearted apology. 

"I just prefer tea," Andi said, obviously amused, as they all hastened down the stairs.

"So the boys aren't coming?" Eve asked, stuffing the last of the pastry into her mouth and then hurriedly shoved her hands into her jacket pockets to better cover them from the cold. 

Narcissa shook her head, pulling her hat firmly over her ears. "Lucius isn't going this year, and Rodo already has his dress robes. They would be bored, anyway."

The other three girls continued talking, and Eve tuned them out until their chattering was a distant buzz in the back of her head. Hogsmeade was beautiful, probably most so in winter, but fall was a close second - leaves fell like rain, fog leaving trails of white across the road, a sweet chill seeping deep into bones.