black outs and birthdays

chapter thirteen : black outs and birthdays

"Regulus looks invincible in the light of the lake. He bathes in the glory and is swallowed by the invisibility; he is a walking contradiction, he is everything he shouldn't be - and yet the eyes of boys and girls, Slytherins and Gryffindors and Ravenclaws and Hufflepuffs alike, follow him and feast upon the sight of his beauty."

               EVE WOKE UP with a raging headache

She groaned into her pillow as she tried to force her eyes open. Despite the numerous hours of sleep Eve was sure she had gotten, she still felt exhausted - the type of tired that ached into her bones, that sank into her blood. 

"Good morning," said an amused voice at the end of her bed, and Eve groaned again, but this time forced her eyes open. 

"Hi," Eve said raspily - a glass of water was shoved into her hand, and she sat herself up on an elbow before downing it all greedily. "What's up?"

Narcissa looked like she was forcing herself not to scream. She had clearly not slept in awhile- her usual styled white blonde hair was greasy and fell down in matted clumps around her head. There were deep circles under her eyes and she wore one of Eve's own muggle jumpers - the one with The Rolling Stones logo - and silk pajama pants. In totally - she looked like a complete mess. 

"What's up," Narcissa practically growled, "What's up is that you performed one of the seven rituals that are usually prohibited until you are at least of age, and then you passed out and we had to get you back into the dorms unseen, and you've been asleep for three days-"

"Three days?!" Eve interrupted, shooting up and scrambling to get out of the bed, "It's the third? Of November?"

Narcissa rolled her eyes, throwing her hands up in the air in obvious exasperation. "Yes, Eve, it's the third! Is that all you're getting from? We need to talk about what you imbued-"

"It's Reg's birthday!" Eve exclaimed, hurrying to stand. When she did manage to get her feet untangled and firmly on the ground, she reached out a hand to fell for the wall and closed her eyes tight for a moment. Once the world had stopped spinning, she hurried toward the bathroom. 

"Eve-" Narcissa called, hurrying right after her. 

Eve stripped off her clothes - pajamas, and she definitely didn't want to know when the switch happened - without a regard for her best friend behind her, turning on the shower to let it heat up before trying to hastily brush out her hair with her fingers. 

"Eve-" Cissa said again, and again Eve didn't turn.

"The present I bought him is up in my room - what time is it, by the way? - and so is the dress I got for the party, do you think someone could go get it-"