the white wine

chapter seventeen : the white wine

"Sometimes Eve forgets that Sirius isn't as nice as James, that Sirius has seen the dark side of the world, that he can be selfish and manipulative and isn't full of butterflies and rainbows like his best friend, and part of Eve hates herself for undermining such a huge part of who he is; the other part of her reasons that he probably made her forget on purpose."

((trigger warning for allusions of past child abuse & allusions of canon-typical violence))

REGULUS FOUND THEM A TABLE IN A DARK CORNER, far from the light and chatter and happiness of everyone dancing near them

REGULUS FOUND THEM A TABLE IN A DARK CORNER, far from the light and chatter and happiness of everyone dancing near them. Eve didn't bother complaining; there was nothing she could do or say that would take away the nerves he was facing. The best she could do to help was stay close to him.

Her champagne had long run out, though, and Eve couldn't help the urge to lean her head back and close her eyes. The music was a gentle lullaby against her ears, and Eve thought she could hear the wisp of Bella's cackling laugh.

She thought she must have zoned off, for a long moment, because she came back a few minutes later to the feel of someone setting a glass into her hand. Eve gripped it absentmindedly, picking it up to take a long sip. It tasted sweeter than her champagne had been; it was probably just some fancy French one that Regulus has snuck in.

"Thanks, Reg," Eve murmured, taking another sip of the honey-like drink before she lazily opened her eyes, and promptly started when she realized it was not, in fact, her best friend.

Sirius Black was beautiful. There wasn't another word that could describe him - he was too breathtaking to be anything less. He wore a dress robe just as fancy as Regulus', with shining shoes, and a pressed muggle suit peaked out from the collar of his cloak.

His hair was actually done, now, and it was strange to look at. Eve had known Sirius for years, and she didn't think she had ever seen him with gelled hair; he had always let it grow long, usually to his collarbone, and it was always artfully tousled. Now it was chopped short, resting on top of his head and carefully gelled back - except for two little curls at the front, which were wavy against his brows.

He stared at her, grey eyes dark and sad and angry and untrusting and pitying, and Eve stared back; it was only a matter of time before he looked away. She had the same eyes as her brother, after all, and there was no one that Sirius Black loved more than James Potter.

"Regulus went to get food from the buffet - I believe he got accosted by his Aunt Cassiopeia at the gelato bar," Sirius answered her unspoken question, and glanced away from her stare first, just like she knew he would. He looked completely at ease, back straight and shoulders high, hands clasped behind his back, and Eve was surprised to find that as much as she was wary and angry to see him, she was also relieved he was doing okay.