peter

chapter nineteen : peter

"Narcissa Black and Barry Crouch are Evelyn's best friends, yes, but there's some special kind bond between Lyn and Regulus that Peter just can't quite figure out. They're like mismatched puzzle pieces, breaking off sections of themselves to fit together until there's no space between them."

                    PETER SHIVERED IN HIS COAT AND tried his best to shrink into it, lifting his shaking hands up to carefully light the cigarette with his wand

"Light mine up, will you, mate?" Sirius asked from across the table, leaning over to stick his own fag but the end of Peter's wand. Sirius' posh accent almost made Peter want to lean over and punch him in the face, but he resisted, and instead resigned to glaring at Sirius until he leaned away, hands going up and face molded into the picture of innocence. 

Peter wouldn't fall for it, though; Sirius was everything but innocent, and the only person who seemed to notice how much of a deceiver the Black could be was Remus; unfortunately, Remus was busy pining, and now point-blank refused to listen to Peter's complaints. 

Sirius pulled out a muggle lighter from his coat pocket, and though it took a few times to light, he got it eventually. He stuck the stick into his mouth, and tucked the muggle light securely into the inner part of his jacket. 

"You want one, Rem?" Sirius asked; Peter glanced at his best friend and promptly did not hold back the urge to roll his eyes. Remus looked away from where he had been staring at Sirius' lips wrapped around the stick, cheeks bright red - from embarrassment or the cold, who knew - and shook his head. 

"I'm trying to quit," Remus said, pointing his head back down at the table and toward his essay, as if staring a hole into the parchment would convince him not to stare at Sirius' lips. "Thanks, though."

None of them bothered to offer James one; he had been cold turkey since August in preparation for the Quidditch season. Lily Evans' had given him a proper telling off that time she caught him, going on and on about how smoking could cause lung problems and do you want to get cancer, James Potter?

Despite the fact that they were wizards and witches and had abnormally strong immune systems and honestly, if they got cancer they could go and get it removed for about twenty galleons at St. Mungo's - James had stopped, although he still gave them sour looks for smoking in front of him. 

"It's freezing, Sirius, can we go back now?" James asked, tucking his hands deep into his coat pockets. Sirius had wanted to go outside, for some reason, despite the fact it was now mid January and snowing like mad in Scotland. But Sirius had wanted to go, which meant James and Remus wanted to go, and - sue him, Peter didn't want to be left out, so he hopped out of the shower and followed them, although at this point he was pretty sure his wet hair had formed icicles, and his neck felt slimy with leftover soap.