staying and going

chapter fourteen : staying and going

"She couldn't make the decision about whether to stay or go, so instead, she glanced at Regulus. Whatever he wanted, she would go along with it."

                NOVEMBER HAD SWEPT into early December, bringing with it a bitter coldness that sank into Eve's bones. Her potions grade went down - the chilliness of the dungeon classrooms made her hands shake something awful, only stilling at the depths of midnight when she sat with her friends, huddled around the fireplace. 

But the weather wasn't the only thing giving her chills - Eve had not received a letter since the one she had burned in October. She had replied with a very clear, 'Who I make friends with is no one's business but mine, and if James has concerns he can tell me himself', but nothing still. 

Eve hadn't wanted to admit what she was worried about. It sounded childish in the face of all her other friend's problems, so she said nothing. 

"Alright, what's up with you?" Bellatrix finally asked, in her usual blunt way, and promptly ignored the hisses from all their friends. "You've been in a sulk all week, all quiet, and it's weird."

Eve had rolled her eyes, "Thanks, Bel."

The older girl had wrinkled her nose at the nickname, but persisted, "I'm serious, Eve. We all are, alright? Tell us what's wrong."

"My parents haven't sent home an invitation for Christmas," Eve had blurted, "They always do by December fifth - it's like a tradition. And it's the tenth."

Bella said, "So don't go, then," at the same time Andi suggested, "Why don't you speak with your brother?"

Both were great ideas, and Eve was too much of a coward to do either. She knew she would have to stay at the school if her parents didn't send her a letter soon, and she also knew she would have to speak to her brother soon. 

By the fifteenth, Eve was pretty positive that no one had sent her a letter, and resigned herself to staying, alone, at the school during winter break. 

Just because she was resigned to it, though, didn't mean she particularly wanted to think about it, so she did everything she could to distract herself. Extra credit essays, hour long gossips, even spending hours in the kitchens with the elves, learning to cook and bake. Most of all, she spent her time with Poppy in the medical wing. 

Eve had no interest in studying medicine when she graduated, and Poppy knew it too, but - but a war was looming. They all knew it, and Poppy was terrified, spending most of her time running around like a headless hippogriff, trying to have as many people intern under her as she could. Medics would be needed, and Eve would do her best to be the best she could.