a summer surprise

chapter one: a summer surprise

"Sirius Black had always been a welcome part of the family - just a family Eve wasn't really a part of."

EVELYN POTTER WAS having a very boring summer so far.

At the moment, she was laying on her bed. It was nearly three AM, but Eve couldn't sleep, so she propped her window open a bit until she could feel the breeze, then promptly pulled out her (extremely well hidden) box of cigarettes and (very pretty) lighter from her trunk, lighted one up, and watched as the smoke gathered above her head. She lazily moved her head from where it had been resting on her hand when she thought she heard a faint pop at the edge of the wards, but dismissed it as her imagination fairly quickly. 

The stars are bright tonight, the sky clear, and Eve felt a flicker of guilt for adding to the (apparently growing, according to her muggle born friends) air pollution or whatever, but then shoved those thoughts to the back of her head. Despite it being the end of July, with school ending over two months ago, Eve was still in a very bad mood. 

Right when she was about to start another letter ranting about her brother to one of her friends, a heavy pounding sounded at the door. Eve peaked her head out the window. 

"Black?" she asked incredulously. 

Apparently, he had heard her, for she thought she saw his shadow glance up, but she wasn't sure; he was completely shrouded in shadow. "Lyn!" He called, waving, "Come open the door, will you?"

Eve gave a dramatic sigh, but stubbed out her cigarette on her window sill and walked quickly down the stairs. It wasn't unusual for her brother's best friend to show up at the house unexpected, but it was strange for him to do so at such a late time at night. 

On the way down, she pounded her fist against James' door, uncaring if she waked up him and her parents; they'd deal. They always did, when it came to Sirius Black. 

"Oi!" she called, opening the door and flipping on the lights. Under his blankets, Jame groaned at the brightness. "Your mate's downstairs, Jimmy."

"Don't call me that," said James from inside his blanket burrito, but began to struggle his way out anyway. 

She thought she could hear her parents footsteps coming down the stairs - as their bedroom was on the third floor, while the twins' were on the second - but disregarded it, bounding down the steps toward the front door, wand held loosely in her hand. She clicked open the many locks on the door and flung it open, ready to yell at the young man for 'interrupting her sleep' (which he didn't do, but would feel guilty about) when Sirius practically fell into her arms.