shouting in the dungeons

chapter twenty one : shouting in the dungeons

"Eve doesn't know why she's even surprised, not anymore. She shouldn't be, not when all people have ever done to her is lie, lie until their chest rattles and their skin goes cold and their lips turn blue - it felt like the only truth that she's heard in months had been shouted at her in a flooded bathroom by a broken eighteen year old, and as Eve stares at the shaking body of one of her best friends, she thinks that Andromeda was only ever right."

((tw: torture wounds/description of torture))

                 WHEN THE ANGER THAT FLOODS YOUR VEINS starts to disappear into something quiet; that's when you know that it's time to calm down

Eve swallowed back the lump in her throat, blinking desperately to stop her eyes from stinging. She tapped her leg impatiently against the floor, and at the same time, twisted her bracelet around her wrist. The one white bead in the middle was dull, and the glass clinked together loudly in the nearly silent room.

It was midnight in the dungeons, and it was dark. The Slytherin common room had only one fire lit, and most of the area was only slightly visible because of the green light coming from the lake. Everyone else had already gone to sleep, worries shoved in the backs of their mind - except for Eve, Barry, Rodo, and Andromeda. 

"Stop that," Rodo said sharply, wand twirling anxiously between his fingers. "Control yourself, Evelyn. Do what we spoke of."

Eve recoiled into herself at his tone. 

"Rodolphus," Barry warned, just as sharply. He moved closer to Eve, taking her hand in his own in a gentle grip. He turned to her, and waited patiently until she lifted her head up so that he could look her in the eyes. "It's okay," he assured her, voice barely shaking. "It's going to be fine, Eve."

"They said they would be back by ten," Eve whispered. "It's twelve, Barry."

"They probably just missed their portkey," he tried. "I'm sure they'll be back any moment-"

"Merlin!" Andromeda snapped, practically throwing herself off of the couch and beginning a hard pace across the floor, "Stop treating her like a child, Bartemius-"

Barry clenched his eyes shut, hands spasming around Eve's for barely a moment before he regained control of himself. "Don't call me that," he warned, voice low. He sounded serious, and angry, and his voice was steady and he sounded so much like his father that Eve closed her own eyes so she wouldn't see if his expression matched too. "And she is a child. We are all children, Andromeda, despite the fact that you are convinced we know more than the elders-"

"We stopped being children the moment our ears rang because of how often our parents screamed," Andromeda hissed, her steps heavy against the floor. "We stopped being children the moment that we started recognizing who was coming up the stairs by the weight of their feet against the steps! We-"