Chapter Ten: Can he walk?

I am going crazy!

Two weeks has passed and still, no one had news about Grey. I've thought of all possibilities already and the uncertainty is driving me insane. I need to know! Even if it wasn't pleasant news, I just want something to deal with already.

"Honey, I'll take over the counter. The boy over there requested you take his orders," my mom suddenly interrupted my thinking. She winked at me and gestured someone over the table.

I rolled my eyes at her. "Mom," I whined at her matchmaking. I took a look at who she was pointing out - hoping maybe it would be a cute boy - but I got cold when I saw Grey staring intently at me.

I averted my gaze to my mother's expectant expression and reluctantly headed towards Collins. He's back. Is he fine? Can he walk?

"Good afternoon, sir," I forced a smile. "Can I take your orders? Personally, I'd pick this one," I pointed at something to the menu he held, going through my usual introduction. "However," I slid my finger to another drink. "This one is a special, the flavor's innovated by the cafe and also a customer favorite," I said. I was about to get my hand back when he snatched my wrist and pulled me forward, making me lean in and bend my back in an uncomfortable position.

I glanced at my mom and felt worried when I saw she was busy taking someone's order. I looked for the other staffs but they are miraculously not around. I swallowed. "Grey, this isn't really the place-"

"Shut up," he growled and I visibly flinched. "What you did just crossed another line not worth taking. I'll make sure you regret it," he spat and threw my arm.

Believe me, I already do.

I immediately stepped back and opened my eyes. "Look, I'm really sorry. I didn't totally mean to do it but I-" I paused. What do I say? That I heard him and Luke talking about me? "I'm sure it'll be hard to forgive but I - I'm really really sorry," I plead with woeful eyes. Be woe-d. I regret it now and I was hoping he could see that and let it go.

It was wistful thinking, I know.

"Shut it. You may regret it now but I swear to bring something worse," he threatened. "I couldn't walk for two fucking weeks and I would've taken this to court but I'd rather deal with you myself," he added, causing me to swallow. The hair on top of my body rose at the cold promise of his tone. "Better prepare yourself, Stewart."

I suppressed a shiver. Even if I was the one standing and looking down at him, I felt smaller. The room seem to close on me while he looked like a vengeful giant in my eyes.

I have never seen such rage from his eyes before.

"One cappuccino, coming up," I announced, cradling my wrist before scampering away from his intense glare.

What do I do? I made a monster out of a monster.

I pulled my hair and ran my hand to my face before I made his drink. I delivered it myself because everyone else seemed busy, I had no choice but to deal with the devil myself.

~•~

Yesterday was thursday and Grey made sure to sweat me while he stayed at the cafe. He kept making some complaints that he requested I fix. Fortunately, my mom had to go somewhere and she didn't see my demotion to slavery.

He accidentally toppled his coffee three times and I had to mop the table and floor everytime. One of the staffs was about to throw him out but I thankfully managed to stop them, thinking that it would only worsen my situation. I didn't give them much explanation but they got the look I gave them.

Grey seem to have considered that a small victory though because I saw him smirking at me after. It was then that the others just offered me a sympathetic smile and patted my back. They knew how some customers could be bitchy but they didn't know this customer was worse. So when Grey left, I made them swear not to tell my mom about the little encounter. They were reluctant, but they agreed. So I gave them all some friendly hugs in gratitude.

LIAAAAAAAMMM. I texted. Triss was still sick with the flu and because I was a coward, I spent my lunch in the library.

what's up? He replied and I leaned forward, propping my elbows on the table.

the ceiling? anyway, talk to me i'm bored. Seconds after that, my phone vibrated indicating a call. I put it in silent mode, it may not look like it with the amount of time I spent in detention, I'm actually a goody-good shoes. I follow the put-your-phone-in-silent mode library rule.

Yep, you heard that right.

"Dude, I am dead meat," I said.

"I would say it's gonna be okay but I'm not entirely sure. You don't just mess with a man's balls, amigo. It's cold," was his comforting reply and I could hear the shiver in his voice.

"I messed up."

"I'm not gonna disagree with that."

"Liam," I chided slowly. "You're suppose to help make me feel better."

"I thought I was suppose to get you out of your boredom?"

"That, too, but as a friend, it's your job to say everything's gonna be okay after I've done something I shouldn't have."

"Really? I thought friends were suppose to stop you before you even do something?"

"Correct, but who's the one two hours away here?"

"Point taken," he said. "Anyway, there's something I wanted to tell Triss and you but since you two aren't together right now, I'll just tell you first."

I leaned in my seat. "What is it?"

"Abby and I are officially dating. Thought you should know when your best friend's off the market again."

I gushed. "OMG, Liam, that's amazing!" Abby is the girl he's been hanging around for a month. Now it usually doesn't take that long for Liam to get the girl but he had to show some real effort with Abby and the bonus part was, Triss and I actually liked her. His former girlfriends were okay but Triss and I never really clicked with them. They would either get jealous of Triss or me and try to make Liam spend less time talking to us. "Is she there? Can I talk to her?" I asked eagerly.

"Ouch, I'm hurt, April. You're ditching your own best friend," he said in a fake offended tone.

"Give it to her."

"Fine," he complied and I heard his voice over the phone but I couldn't discern any of it. He's probably telling Andrea I wanted to talk to her.

"Hi, April," I heard the red-head's sweet voice over.

"Hey, Abby. Don't be afraid to tell me if Liam ever messes up. I'll go there myself and kick his ass."

"You're in loud speaker, best friend."

Abby and I laughed. "Good, you hear me," I answered and I heard him grumble.

"So what have you got going, April? Liam said you did something nasty."

I winced. "Yeah . . . I probably won't be able to call again soon. Until I get reincarnated, it was nice to meet you, Abby." I heard her chuckle at that.

I was smiling but it dropped when I saw Grey walk in the library. Abby was saying something but the words flew righ out of my head. "Uh . . . I'm sorry, I got to go. Remember, you know who to blame if I disappear."

I ended the call and picked up my bag. I quickly stood up and pressed myself against the shelves, hiding from his line of view.

~°~

Author's Note:

LET YOUR PRESENCE BE KNOWN.

Vote and Comment if like the chapter and the story so far. (◍•ᴗ•◍)❤