Chapter Twelve: Chrisanta and Armand

Dressed in my knightly suit - denim shorts, white sneakers, and a maroon shirt that says 'GO PARKER-BOY' at the front and a 'No. 14's Proud Sister' at the back, much to Parker's embarrassment - I managed to drag Triss' lazy ass to the game but she seem to have disappeared. She said she's going to the bathroom but it's been too long since she left. If we don't head back soon, we were gonna miss the start of the game and probably our good seats too. Currently, I'm looking for her.

I pushed through the crowd and headed inside the school and away from the sports field. "Triss! Where the hell are you?" I shouted loud once I was inside the hallway. "Triss!"

Where's that sexy brunette I call best friend?

I adjusted my cap and continued to walk, deciding not to shout so I could startle Triss when I see her but mostly because I didn't want to use energy. I passed by the empty hall quietly, peeking inside the empty rooms in hopes of finding Triss.

I started humming a song when suddenly a banging sound came from ahead. "Freaking hell, Triss," I whispered. My heart pounded. What was that sound? Is Triss alright?

I detected it coming from the boys' locker room. What is she doing there? What if she's being harassed right now? Oh please no because I swear to God I'm gonna skin them alive if they do.

I was just about to fling open the ajar door when I heard the unmistakeable voice of someone. Quickly, I pressed myself against the wall and strained my ears. Who knows, maybe I could find some blackmail material and my last prank would go without retaliation.

"Are you fucking kidding me?" The sound of someone punching their locker door echoed. Holding my startled heart, I continued to listen. "And she decides to tell the fucking fantastic news over the fucking phone? What, does she expect a fucking congratulations?" I winced. That's a lot of fucking in two phrases. Someone must have pissed Grey big time.

Suddenly, I heard him laugh without humor. My eyes widened. "Just fucking great . . ."

My forehead crinkled as I continue to hear Grey mutter words and curses that did not help me figure out what's going on. Who could have made him act this way? Why does he sound so angry and hurt? Who is she? A girlfriend? Somehow, the thought disappointed me. Was she breaking up with him? Over the phone? Is that why he's gotten all Hulk Smash-Hulk Angry in the locker room? I smirked, sorta satisfied with the idea. Of course, who would want to date an arrogant guy like Grey? Girls would realize sooner or later that they do not want to be with him.

I was mulling over the potential - could I threaten to spread this bits of information in school if he extracts revenge? - of what I just heard when a phone started ringing. My blood run cold. With frantic movements, I took out my phone from my pockets. Flipping it over my hands to end the call, I was confused to see that . . . there was no call. Who's phone-

"Luke. Just give me a few minutes, man," I heard Grey say and I sighed in relief. I should probably leave before I get busted.

I was to do just that but I halted when I heard Grey answer Luke. "I'm fine." A pause. "My father's fucking engaged, is that what you wanna hear?" He snapped over the phone while I contained my gasp. It was common knowledge that Grey's mother died of a car crash last year and I think he took it pretty hard, he picked on me more often after that. And then . . .there was his father. I heard they were pretty tight but two months ago, rumors started circling that Grey hated the man. A student claimed she overheard Grey say that Mr. Collins was a horrible husband and that Grey said the day he leaves for college will be the best day of his life. I don't know how and why people are even interested with this kind of gossip but . . . that's what I heard.

"I'm sorry, man. It's just . . . his bitch called. She said that my father told her to break the news to me," Grey said and there was a long pause. Did his father's fiance really just do that? Called Grey to tell him that she's engaged with his father? I don't know what he feels but as his father's son . . . he must feel, I don't know, horrible? I mean, a year is a short time to mourn, right? Triss lost her father when she was ten and sometimes, she still cries about it. What would you feel if you lost your mother and a year later, you find out that your beloved father is marrying another woman? I wouldn't know but I had this sudden urge to give Grey, my so-called mortal enemy, a hug. "Alright. Just give me a minute. I'll be there before the game starts."

That snapped me out of my thoughts.

Right. Game. Parker. Triss.

I left before he could even know I was there. I looked for my seat and saw that Triss was already there, sitting and looking annoyed. I grinned. Her hair was tied up to a ponytail and she wore an identical outfit, except without the cap and the back of her maroon shirt says 'Proud Sister's Supportive Best Friend' instead. We had a long argument about that one.

I sat beside her and her head snapped to me. "Where the hell have you been? I've been sitting here alone like a loner."

I sat quietly and considered telling her what I just found out but it really didn't feel like it was mine to share. I just smiled at her and decided to come close to the truth, "I was looking for you. I thought you bailed."

Triss rolled her eyes and we both watched as the players got ready. My gaze searched a specific someone and when I found him, it was like he never received the call.

He was benched for the entire game and I wondered why. Everyone wondered why but we received no answer. Speculations flew. From what I overheard from the locker room, it felt like he was supposed to play. What changed?

Maybe there is more to the enemy than it seems.

~•~

Mom, Parker and I were being couch potatoes together. We were sprawled side by side, watching a family show, discussing the scenes and whatnot. Dad was at his office doing professor stuff. He said he'll join as in an hour.

"This stuff's boring. I'll just go to my room and scroll through social media or whatever." I stood up and said to no one in particular.

"Okay," Mom answered and I glanced at her. At age forty, my mother was a bit on the chubby side but I saw her younger photos, she was attractive. Not that she isn't now and if anything, I feel like the extra weight added to her appeal.

I plopped on my bed and then sat up, I looked around my room. My gaze landed on the paper propped on my desk and I stood up. I picked the script and lied on my bed, reading it. I didn't get the chance to yesterday.

It was a historical drama. The female lead was raised by her widowed mother, preparing to marry her off with some rich dude. She, unsurprisingly, didn't want that. Hazel, the role I auditioned for, was her maid and they both escaped together. Hazel has naturally more experience with the world and sort of a kick-ass while the female lead was a well-brought lady. Chrisanta wouldn't have survived the first half of the story without her. However, Hazel happens to be at the wrong place at the wrong time. She's one of the people who gets captured and used against Lord Armand, Duke of Welstone. Meanwhile, Chrisanta accidentally finds something to hold against him and in exchange for her secrecy, she wants in to his plan of getting back the captured and defeating the enemy. It's a story of love, justice and loyalty. Chrisanta will have to prove that women can be brave and women can be smart.

I continued reading, engrossed with the story. That was, until I got to a certain part. "What the heck?" I shook my head, unsure if I read it right so I went over the words again. I sat up. Dread washes over me.

Nope, same thing.

Chrisanta and Armand share a kiss.

~°~

Author's Note:

Vote and Comment if like the chapter and the story so far. (◍•ᴗ•◍)❤