Chapter 5

Chapter 5

Alec

"My god, Ariana."

From the moment the door opened, and I looked at her face, I knew she was sick. "What happened, are you okay?" I asked, approaching her in her doorway cautiously as not to upset her. She was like a fresh white sheet of snow except for her flushed red cheeks.

Pushing the door open wider I reached out to hold onto her shoulders. I thought she was going to collapse right then and there. Yet when she looked into my eyes, the first thing that came out of her mouth was: "Don't let the cat out."

Stunned I looked down to see the giant cat trying to escape into the night. Quickly I closed the door behind me while simultaneously holding on to her swaying body.

"Right, right," I acknowledged.

I knew she was in serious condition when she turned away and let out a cough that was deep in her chest.

"Sorry, I think I have a cold again," she told me. "But what are you doing here?" she seemed confused.

I knew this had to be more than a cold. I had a cluster of questions to ask her, but I didn't want to keep her on her feet. I couldn't just leave without asking them, and I didn't want to leave her here alone. In fact, I didn't want to leave her here at all. She needed to see a doctor.

"Maybe it is..." I knew it wasn't. But I wanted to seem like I was in her corner. "But let's get to sitting down why don't we?" I mused. "I won't lie, you look like you're going to fall over."

"I'm just a little dizzy, but I'm alright. Haven't eaten dinner yet," she replied frailly.

As I lead her to her couch to sit her down, I crouched down to meet her at eye level.

"Dinner?" I asked. "Ariana, you do know we were supposed to have dinner tonight, right?" My concerns for her grew.

She looked at me confused. "No, no," she said. "It's not Wednesday yet," she claimed before turning to the side to cough again. Every time she talked or coughed; I knew I needed to get her to a hospital.

Not yet ready to break the news that it was Wednesday I shook my head. "I don't care about that right now. I'm just glad I came to check on you." I comforted her, patting the top of her hand. I pressed the back of my hand against her forehead and cheek to find out that she felt incredibly warm to the touch. "How long have you been like this?" I asked.

She tried to shrug. "Just today." I could tell that even her voice was unsure. "I just feel really crappy tonight. I don't know if I'll be able to make it this Wednesday for dinner." I couldn't believe that in her state she was still thinking of me. "What a terrible way to end a Sunday."

"Oh, Ariana," I sympathized, rubbing her knee. "Ariana, I don't mean to scare you. But it's not Sunday anymore." I confessed. "See," I said, pulling out my phone to show her the date on it.

"What? But I thought? No... but work and..."

Patting her leg, I tried to calm her down. "Shh, it's alright. I understand and I talked with Chase earlier today. I'm sure he will understand too," I comforted. Trying to take her mind away from the realization that three days had passed, I began to try and ask some other questions to try and get a better idea of how she was feeling before I called an ambulance.

"Can you think of the last time you ate or drank anything? Have you taken your temperature yet? What else hurts?" I asked, knowing it was a lot of questions to ask at once. I would repeat them if I needed to.