Chapter 25

Chapter 25

Ariana

Wake up.

Cry.

Eat.

Sleep on the couch.

Cry.

Eat.

Watch TV and cry.

Bath.

Fall asleep crying.

I hated falling asleep.

Hiding inside Alec's bed underneath the covers, I tried to fall back asleep. Alec had left me there like he usually was in the mornings lately. I knew he was getting fed up with me.

Two weeks had passed since I heard from the military that Daniel was missing. I went to bed at night not knowing if he was alive. For all I knew, he could have been sitting under a pile of rubble with no one to find him. When I first learned of his disappearance. I wanted to fly to Iraq and find him myself. Alec had to stop me from leaving the house with a packed bag.

Closing my eyes, I tried to fall asleep once more, hoping that if I did, I wouldn't be faced with the nightmares that played with my mind every night. My mind played tricks on me, twisting the truth into something dark. I couldn't remember a time in the last two weeks that I hadn't woken up to Daniel dead, or Alec playing a part. Though sleeping with Alec helped, it just wasn't enough.

Once again, my slumber pulled me into a deep dark pit of nightmares. Petrified I stood in front of a door where I could hear knocks from the other side.

"Ariana, it's time to get up now."

At the realization that my dream wasn't ending in tears, I opened the door to realize it was Alec on the other side of the door and I was slowly opening my eyes in his bed. Rubbing my eyes in between his pillows, smelling his scent, I peered at the door which was still closed.

"Ariana," he repeated this time a bit more sternly.

Hoping that I could ignore him I sunk deeper into the blankets, clutching Fluttershy and Solstice close to my body.

After hearing Alec sigh, the door slowly opened to reveal his room encased in darkness.

"Oh, Ariana," I heard him say, hoping he thought that I was still asleep and would just leave me alone. I could tell he was thinking of what to do next. I felt like I won when I heard his feet shuffle from the bed to the door. I was deeply disappointed when his footsteps approached me once more and I felt the weight of his body sit on the bed.

"Ariana, it's time to get up," he said sternly, gently placing a hand on my body. "I know you're up."

"I don't want to get out of bed," I said adamantly, though, to Alec, it was nothing but mumbles. He countered this by slowly pulling the covers away from my head to reveal a frizzy mess. I groaned loudly as I realized Alec had turned the lights on. They were much brighter than they needed to be.

"I don't feel good," I said, hoping that my lie would be enough to get him to leave me alone or cuddle up with me in bed.

I felt his hand brush against my forehead. "Well, you don't have a fever," he said. "Is it your tummy?"

"Sure," I replied with a huff, knowing full well that my ruse to play sick wasn't working.

Once again, I heard a sigh escape Alec's mouth. I had stopped counting the number of times I heard his sigh. Once again, his stern voice seeped into my ears as he rubbed my back. "Ariana, you can't just stay in bed all day. It's not good for you," he coaxed.