Chapter 22

Chapter 22

Ariana

"I. Love. Your. Boyfriend." Hyoko, one of my Japanese students firmly gossiped in English. Though I was happy they were expanding their vocabulary, I wasn't sure this was the way I wanted them to do it.

As I sat on one of the tables with my students, I couldn't help but feel proud that I had someone for someone else to be jealous about. Ever since they met Alec at the Halloween dance, we hosted, the only thing they could do was talk about him.

"He's so sweet," another one of my students followed.

"Ne, ne," Hyoko prodded. "How did you meet him?"

By being dragged to an event where I saw people get spanked and look for their significant little or Daddy.

Shying from the truth, I answered that I met Alec at a bar where I got his number. We set up another day to meet up. I then explained how he found me deliriously sick in my house and the rest was history.

"And then," I shrug. "I just never left." The girls and I had a good laugh and they melted in my story. Hyoko mentioned that she too wanted to meet a guy and get sick so they could take care of her.

"I would highly recommend you don't do that. It was horrible."

Though, even I wanted to experience Daddy at my bedside every morning again.

While the girls filtered out of the classroom, I gathered my belongings at my desk and smiled as I looked at the drawing Hyoko had made. Carefully I placed it in my bag between other papers to not damage it. I had every intention of framing it as Alec suggested. I was excited to show Alec the picture in person, I just hated that I was going to have to wait until late to do so.

Feeling out of place driving home on my own, I kicked off my boots and dragged my bag towards the dining room table. I then spent the next two hours trying to study for the JLPT N1 exam that was slowly creeping up as December was right around the corner.

Writing notes until what felt like my eyes bled, I changed tactics by scrolling through Tik Tok where I watched Cats get freaked out by cucumbers. My cat would steel them to eat. I set my phone down when there was a video of a soldier returning home to their fiancé during her baby shower.

My mouth went dry as I was thinking about all the videos that were surfacing for Veterans Day. It made me both angry and sad. While others took enjoyment of seeing their loved ones return, I was left feeling resentment that I hadn't even heard from Daniel in over a week. No email, no text, no nothing.

Over the last month, his replies were sporadic. Now there was nothing. I couldn't remember how many times that I looked in my sent box to see if my reply was ever sent. Double checking that his replies were not getting sent to my spam folder.

I was spending hours a day looking at international news, making sure that nothing big had happened. I couldn't decide whether no news was good news. He said that the internet was getting bad, but couldn't he let me know that he was doing, okay? In frustration, I pushed my Japanese materials away from me and off the table.

Think of something different.

"Binx?" I called out. "Are you hungry?"

Feed the cat.

The moment I called his name, a rolling thud came down the stairs and the monster I called a cat presented himself right in front of his food bowl. "Of course, you are," I chuckled, filling his dish with his food, and retreating to my bedroom to change into my Fluttershy onesie that had received more use over these last two months than it ever had in the two years of owning it.