Chapter 6

Chapter 6

Ariana

What's that sound?

A low steady beeping sound was running through my ears. It sounded muddled, making me feel like I was underwater.

Where's it coming from?

As the beeping became louder, a second beep overshadowed it. This one was louder and quicker.

Make it stop!

I couldn't figure out how to stop it.

Stop, stop, make it stop!

More sounds were becoming apparent.

Who's there?

Was it voices?

I tried focusing on the sounds. I could still hear the slow and steady beep. But the beep that was higher pitched and faster had stopped.

"It's just the IV saying it's run out," a female voice said. "I'll just switch it up."

"Thanks," a tired and familiar voice replied. "How long before you think she'll wake up?"

"It's hard to say, her body's been through a lot," the female replied.

I was starting to feel pressure on my chest and an uncomfortable feeling around my face and my arms. It sounded like I was drowning again as the sounds of the voices and beeps started to become muddled, and finally silent. It felt like I was grasping for reality.

Help.

I didn't know how much time had passed before the sound of beeping began to fill my ears again. It was the same low steady beep, but this time it was louder. It didn't sound like it was coming from underwater this time.

"You should go get some food," a female voice said. The female voice was once again familiar. Did I hear her before?

"I'll order something in a bit," a male followed. This voice was familiar. I had heard it before.

Who was it?

"We're taking great care of her Mr. Branson. It would be okay to go home and get some rest of yourself." The female's voice was soft and caring.

Alec.

As I tried to piece together what was happening, I couldn't help but feel confused.

"I promised I would stay with her. I know she hates hospitals, and I would hate for her to wake up when I'm not here." He sounded tired. Did I do this to him?

The sounds were starting to become louder and louder. They were clearer. In addition to the sounds around me, I began to see lights. At first, they were dull, but as time passed, they became brighter. It wasn't just the sounds and the lights that were starting to confuse me.

Why is it so cold?

A shiver had run across my body and I began to feel like someone was laying on my chest. In addition, I felt something blowing air over my mouth and nose. Despite how weird it felt, I was more annoyed with the feeling on my chest.

"Damn it Binx, get off..." I coughed, trying to push what I thought was my cat off my chest. I was confused when it seemed the only thing, I was pushing was air. As I pushed the air, I soon felt a warm hand embrace my own.

"Ariana?" Alec's relieved voice sounded.

As my eyes fluttered open, the first thing I saw was an IV pole. I closed my eyes again, opening them once more when I heard Alec's voice again. Stiffly I turned my head to see Alec's body looking over mine.