Chapter 7

Chapter 7

Ariana

"Ariana?" Alec's muffled voice came from behind the bathroom door. I had managed to convince Maggie to let me have a shower providing I agreed to use a shower chair for safety. I thought ridding myself of sweat would make me feel better. Unfortunately, the effort it took to have the shower felt like the equivalent of running a marathon.

Taking heavy breaths towards the bathroom door I opened it with a full wet head of hair and a fresh pair of scrubs.

"Oh, there you are," Alec said. "You gave me a fright! I didn't know where you were!"

I dragged my feet towards the bed with a large pink duffel bag on top of it. Alec reached his arm around me as my body felt like it was going to collapse.

"Whoa," he murmured, helping me sit down. His hand graced over mine, as he looked at me with worry.

"I'm fine," I said heavily. "Just give me a minute."

"What are you doing out of bed? You should be resting,"

"I just needed to feel clean," I followed, catching my breath. He looked at me with concern but didn't make another comment about it. "How was Binx?" I hoped that bringing up another topic would lighten the mood.

Alec smiled at me. "He was perfectly fine. I thought he would pull on his leash, but he stayed right next to me the entire time." I smiled, Binx was always a good cat. Providing he got a sufficient amount of exercise; he wouldn't destroy my couch; again.

As breathing became easier, I was finally able to look at Alec to see that he had changed into a loose pair of jeans and a clean sweater. "I brought you your pillow from your bedroom," he said softly, handing me the fluffy white pillow. "And a blanket." It was one of the pink blankets from the couch. "Figured this room could use a pop of colour." Alec wrapped the blanket around me as he noticed my shivering. The heat from the shower had worn off. "Toothbrush, toothpaste, hairbrush, and a hairdryer.... Which we'll use to deal with that dripping hair."

I shook my head. "It's fine, I air dry it all the time."

Alec looked at me sternly. I could tell that he wanted to say something. He took a breath and opened his mouth to talk, only to pause and choose his words carefully. "Would you at least put it up in a towel?" He looked at me sheepishly as he lifted up one of my towels from home. Turning my head to cough I nodded my head. His smile grew as he threw the towel over my head, ruffling my hair in the process. "I assume you also want to change out of those scrubs?"

"Did you find my pyjamas okay?" I asked, peering out from underneath the towel.

"I did," he answered slowly. "I know I might be overstepping my bounds, but I thought that you might like to wear this instead..." he trailed off, exposing a creamy yellow and pink fluffy onesie.

Fluttershy.

I bit my lip. I didn't want to tell him just how much it was comforting to have this here. Despite this, there was an underlying part of me that could hear my father's words telling me to grow up. "Thanks... I'll figure out what I want to wear." I didn't know what else to say. I was embarrassed to say that I was happy. "Is there anything you didn't think of?"

"I'm sure I forgot something. I do have to grab something else from my vehicle though, so I'll be right back."

While Alec was gone, Maggie returned just in the nick of time to see me struggling to get back to the bed after choosing to wear the onesie. She had brought me food, another round of antibiotics to be attached to my IV and was quick to enforce that I wear the oxygen tubing. She insisted I would feel worse without it. She left me with a various assortment of food on a tray that was pushed on a table over my bed. "Just try to eat what you can."