Chapter 23

Chapter 23

Ariana

Text: Heather

Jamie and I are going out to a movie tonight, would you and Alec like to join us?

Over the last month, I had become increasingly closer with Heather who was much more sympathetic to me after the night at the bar. Though she mentioned that Taylor was still inquiring about making amends with me, I had not attempted to rekindle a friendship that was barely there, to begin with.

Text: Ariana

I would love to, but I must work on sorting out my house to rent. Maybe we could go another time.

Alec approved of me conversing with Heather, especially after meeting her in person on common grounds at the Halloween event.

Text: Heather

Oh, that's right, you mentioned you talked to your brother about putting it up for rent.

After what seemed like an eternity, Daniel had contacted me. It had put all the fears that I had felt over the last couple of weeks to rest when I saw his email and heard his voice when he Facetimed me. When I mentioned I was still living with Alec, he suggested putting the house up for rent while he was still deployed. The only thing I needed to do was prepare it.

Considering the packrat that Daniel was, he didn't want to get rid of anything. Especially our parent's belongings. Daniel wanted to personally go through it. He had a larger sentiment to our fathers' belongings than I ever did. Despite wanting to sell most of the things, I agreed to wait until he returned home from deployment, which was excitingly supposed to be in the next month.

Stopping at the coffee shop on my way home, it felt weird taking the drive. I had grown accustomed to driving to Alec's home that I nearly took the wrong turn.

"So warm," I said blissfully as I held the pumpkin spice latte in my hands. In another time, I would have been counting the calories that Starbucks put into the drink while trying to make it as healthy as possible. I now enjoyed the occasional delicacy, not even thinking about the weight it would put on.

It was crazy to watch as the month moved from October into November, and soon it was December. The snow crunched beneath my boots as I walked up to the familiar house and unlocked the door.

Shaking off my coat and the snow-covered boots, I closed my door and locked it behind me. I had filled the house with several boxes to start packing items.

"Now, where do I begin?" I pondered out loud as I set my phone, keys, and delicious latte on the counter.

I was planning to leave most of the furniture and kitchen items in the house for a military family that wanted to rent out the house while they were on deployment in the area.

The house was quiet without Binx greeting me at the door and following me for food that I wished that I brought him with me for company.

"I guess I could start upstairs," I mulled over, turning the TV in the living room, and quickly moving upstairs where I started to play some Japanese music to get into the groove of packing.

My room was wiped clean as I had transitioned my small number of belongings to Alec. I was thankful that between my garage and his, I could store things while I figured out an alternative for them, or Daniel to return home to look through them.