𝚜𝚎𝚟𝚎𝚛𝚞𝚜 𝚜 - 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚊𝚜𝚜𝚒𝚜𝚝𝚊𝚗𝚝

Summary: the new bubbly herbology assistant makes her way into Severus's heart, sadly though she's engaged...

Warnings: none! Lots of fluff

There he was stood on her front porch battling wether to knock or not. New Year's Eve 1984 and Severus was outside the house of the girl he'd been crushing heavily on for the past year.

The bubbly herbology assistant had unwillingly weaved her way into his heart throughout the past year he'd known her. Even though he was cold and shut off for some reason she wouldn't give up on chatting to him at meals. It started when he needed to consult her on the plants he'd need for his potions inventory.

Loud music was echoing from the greenhouses as Severus lingered outside in the cold January air. He'd not had a chance to greet the new assistant as she'd joined late. Not that he cared, she was simply there to help sprout and supply him with ingredients.

What he wasn't expecting was to hear some cringe love song blasting alongside some appalling singing. Who was this girl?

He reluctantly walked in and the frown stayed planted on his face as he saw the back of a messy girl planting very vigorously on some beds.

He cleared his throat loudly which made her jump and turn around. His breath hitched as he looked at one of the most angelic sites he'd ever thought he'd seen. Her hair was messy and falling out of the makeshift bun, her cheeks were red and had splatters of soil on them but somehow she just looked perfect.

"Oh my gosh I am ever so sorry..." she blurted running over to the record player and quickly turning it off before turning back to face him with a sheepish shy smile.

She slipped off her gardening gloves and stuck out her hand to shake "h-hello I'm y/n... y/n l/n.. and you must be Professor Snape.."

Severus merely nodded and looked at her hand before shaking it. Her hand was soft and warm, he wanted to hold it forever.

"I'm here to give you the inventory list... I'll need the following by next Monday.." he said simply trying his best to avoid gazing upon her.

"Yes.. yes of course...sorry about the.. well Professor sprout doesn't mind when I listen to music so I just thought that...-"

"It doesn't concern me what dribble you decide to listen too..." he drawled

There was a tense silence before she burst into laughter. Merlin was her laugh like the angels singing.

"It is dribble you're right... sad love songs seem to just speak to me at the moment.. rather pathetic really..." she continued to laugh lightly before she realised he wasn't returning it so she coughed awkwardly and looked away.

"Well I won't keep you in my bothersome company any longer Professor Snape... if you ever need anything.. I'll be right here embarrassing myself..."

Severus looked at her for a few more seconds and nodded "Noted..." and with that he left.

And so Severus did go back. In fact he'd find any excuse to hang around the greenhouse and listen to her babble on about plants or whatever was bothering her. He found it impossible to stay away from her.

Watching her dissect and plant things with such joy was intoxicating. The day he learnt she was engaged was painful to say the least, although things seemed rather complicated.

It was around April Severus was on his way to the greenhouses when he heard muffled sobs from outside. He walked in and the site broke his heart, her eyes which were usually filled with love and joy were red and filled with sorrow.