𝚜𝚎𝚟𝚎𝚛𝚞𝚜 𝚜 - 𝚖𝚎𝚊𝚗

He couldn't help but let his eyes follow your retreating figure. This wasn't fair. How could one person have such a large effect on him? The whole thing was wrong.

You were his assistant. A bubbly assistant who had such a burning passion for potions immediately he was sickened, or so he thought. Truthfully he was enamoured by you. By your positivity, the gleam in your eye as you watched him very carefully every single time he made even the simplest of potions. It was infuriatingly adorable.

He could have lied to himself and made himself hate you. Which he could usually do with ease, but the cold act was withering away every day. Every time he would snap at you the guilt wore him down to misery. Today, however, it came to a head.

"Hello professor Snape..." you beamed practically skipping into the potions classroom. Your hair was braided and that damn smile that made his heart flutter was plastered on your face.

"We have work to do..." he muttered in reply, cringing at how cold he sounded. You didn't deserve that, you deserved the same warmth you emitted so easily.

"Yes... yes of course my apologies..." you muttered nervously like you did every time he'd snap.

Severus carefully made his way over to you before setting up the cauldron on your station. He carefully went through the checklist of potion ingredients until you interrupted him as politely as possible.

"Uh just to interject... would wasp wings be a better alternative? I've just read recently that they can have the same properties as flys blood but you can use less..."

Severus turned to you with a quirked brow "we're following the exact Ingredients from the book..." he repeated blankly.

"Oh, I know professor I just thought-"

"You thought what? That you could have any input on MY potion that I personally thought up?"

"No... no not at all I just-"

He cut you off once again "you thought you knew better than Hogwarts own potions master? That you'd learnt so much from the few months you've been here you had some entitlement to input on MY potion... truly if you're as dimwitted as you look there is no room for such words of... of-"

Severus finally looked up for the first time throughout this drawn-out rant and cut himself off in shock. You were bright red and tears were threatening to spill from your eyes. It was truly the worst thing he'd ever seen, and he'd seen the dark lord take lives before his very eyes.

"May I be excused..." you squeaked out, your eyes trained to the floor.

Severus merely murmured a strained yes before you bolted from the room like a startled rabbit spotting a rattlesnake.

What was this heavy feeling weighing his heart down? It felt like a dungbell, guilt he supposed? How did he manage to hurt you? Everything he said was untrue. Your idea was actually ingenious, but the way you stated it so comfortably raised alarm bells.

An angel like you should never feel comfortable in his demon self-presence. The sins he'd committed were proof of the taint he'd place on anyone he grew close to. And you... well, you would run the risk of crumbling under it. He couldn't have that.

——————————

Where were you?

The following Monday, you were meant to come straight to Severus's class to assist like any other week but you were nowhere to be seen. The first class passed, then the second, third and the fourth, and final class of the day and you had yet to turn up.

Severus exited his class and resigned to his office with a scowl more sad than usual. He was so distraught he nearly missed the letter laying in the centre of his desk. Without hesitation he grabbed it and the cursive writing was unmistakable.

Dear professor snape,

It pains me dearly to inform you that I will be stepping down from the assistant job. I understand I've dissatisfied you, and truly I tried my best.

Dumbledore has been informed and I will be leaving on a train to London late this evening. Although short I'd like to thank you for the time you spent teaching me, I learnt more from you than any other mentor I've had and... well it was lovely really.

I just apologise again for not living up to what Dumbledore thought I was capable of.

Yours, y/n

Severus's heart sunk completely. He'd gotten what he wanted, he'd driven you away. But truly at what cost?

You'd given up your position because you thought so highly of his own opinion. He'd not only hurt your feelings but taken away an education you deserved. He hadn't thought it through.

His legs moved him before his mind could keep up. Severus's cloak billowed behind him as he caught wind of the sun setting outside. The minute he was outside the castle gates he apparated to the train station.

Severus desperately peered around the station, no trains insight and as far as the eye could see, there was no one about. Sighing in resignation, Severus sat on a bench staring at the deserted platform. He'd let the one he loved go again.

His thoughts were interrupted by murmurs of swear words and the dragging of a very heavy trunk. He thought at first his eyes had deceived him when you came into his eyesight. You had missed your train and he couldn't help grinning from ear to ear at that news.

You had finally looked up and Severus got to his feet both of you locking eyes.

"Professor Snape what are you doing here..." your voice called out. He watched as your eyes widened and your hand let your trunk fall to the floor.

Severus for the first time in his life was left mostly speechless, his inky locks blowing in the wind. "Severus please... call me Severus..."

He watched as you shook your head "you hate me... why would you come here..."

Severus shook his head "I don't hate you..."

He could see you were getting upset and frustrated. He didn't blame you either, if someone treated him so terribly he'd be sure to get upset at the sudden change of heart.

"But you were so mean to me... you... you said I looked dimwitted prof- Severus... and now you follow me here... it's rather confusing..." you yelled heat growing in your cheeks as your eyes never left his own.

"I... look y/n I..."

"What? You what? You're not my teacher anymore Severus I don't need to be polite... or... or pretend to not be hurt because I am hurt..." you continued completely oblivious to him stepping closer.

"Y/n please let me-"

"Let you speak!? Let you speak... I don't think I can... I just don't understand what I did to make you dislike me so much I have never-"

And with that, you opened your eyes. A soft nose poked into your cheek as his lips connected with your own. You could only stop in shock as everything began to click together. Your mentor returned your affections.

Before you could respond he'd pulled away panting heavily and scanning your face like a mad man "I'm sorry... I'm so sorry... that was silly I-"

Now Severus was shocked as a pair of arms wrapped around his neck and your warm body collided with his own, along with both of your lips. When you both finally felt as though you could part, mainly for oxygen, both of you just stared at one another awestruck.

"You have an odd way of expressing your emotions..." you muttered

Severus chuckled darkly and looked to the floor "I didn't want to hurt you... I thought if I... made you hate me I wouldn't like you as much..."

Severus watched as you took a step forward "well there's one flaw in that plan..."

"Which is?"

"I could never hate you, Severus..."