Chapter 3

"What the hell happened?" Derek asked shakily as he walked into her room, his friends behind. "She was in a car accident. She saved 3 car accident victims and then got hit by a semi on her way home." Bailey said softly. "Oh god." Derek cried as tears welled in his eyes. He grabbed his wife's good hand and brought it up to his face. He kissed it and rested his forehead on it, tears streaming down his face as he sobbed. No one had ever seem Derek cry. Callie rubbed his back soothingly as Arizona and Jo both ran in. "What the hell happened?" Arizona yelled. "Shh. Car accident." Richard explained. They looked at Meredith and their hearts broke at her broken form and dereks sobbing form.

When Derek calmed down a little, he went into doctor mode. "What's her prognosis?" He said as he flipped through her chart. "We aren't sure Derek. She could barely speak or understand us when she first came in. Amelia repaired the bleed, but there's no way of telling what it damaged until she wakes up." Teddy explained. "What was her GCS coming in?" Derek asked. "Uh, paramedics said it was 8." Alex responded. Derek winced at the number and sighed. "She'll be okay. She has to." He whispered as he brushed some of her hair out of the way. "She's strong. She'll be okay. She won't leave the kids or you." Bailey said. "The kids!" Derek exclaimed. "Their both fine and In day care and we will all take turns watching them." Arizona said. "Thank you." Derek whispered.

"Derek." Bailey said as she arrived in the doorway with a kid. "Bailey." Derek said with a confused expression. "This is Winnie. One of patients Meredith saved in the car accident." Bailey explained. Dereks eyes softened as he looked at the girl. "I'm sure you wsnt a more detAiled explanation about what happened, and Winnie agreed to Give you one." Bailey said. Derek nodded and the girl and Bailey sat down on the couch next to Derek. "So what happened?" Derek asked quietly as he looked at his broken wife who was intubated and unconscious.

"Me and my mom were driving to my soccer game and then all of a sudden a car drives the wrong way right into our car. Meredith was on the right side of the road and saw the whole thing. She came out of her car and climbed on top of our car since it was on its side. She found a crowbar and busted the windows. She pulled me and my mom out and examined us. Then this kid Charlie in the other car was hurt badly; his stomach was torn open and Meredith dragged him over to us before his car exploded." She explained. Dereks eyes formed with tears and he sniffled. "That sounds like Grey." Bailey said, surprised to find tears comign to her eyes as well. "Thank you." Derek whispered. "Thanks Winnie. Go back to your room now." Bailey said. The girl nodded and left the room.

Bailey scooted over to Derek and wrapped an arm around the grieving neurosurgeon. "I can't lose her!" He cried. "I know." Bailey said softly. "I can't. I can't." He repeated over and over again. "Derek. Listen. Meredith is one of the strongest women I know, if not the strongest. She will wake up. And if she doesn't I'll kick her ass so hard that she will wake up." Bailey said sternly. Derek had to chuckle at that and smiled weakly. "Thank you." He whispered for the fourth time today. "Anytime. We'll all be here for you and the kids until she wakes up and heals." Bailey said. Derek nodded and looked back at Meredith.

Amelia was freaking out. She operated on her sister in law and her brothers wife, and if she didn't wake up, Derek would blame her. She paced up and down the hall, waiting for some news to come about Meredith. "Amelia." Owen said as he stopped her pacing. "Owen." She said shakily. "Meredith will be okay." He said. "What if she isn't? Derek will blame me." Amelia cried. "No, he won't. Meredith was in a severe car accident. You did the best you could. Now she just had to wake up, and from what I heard, Meredith will wake up." Owen said. Amelia nodded and wrapped her arms around his torso. Owen sighed and did the same to her. "She'll be okay." He whispered repeatedly.

Alex was worried out of his mind. When Cristina left, Alex took over as Merediths person. He couldn't lose his best friend. Meredith was the only one who was friends with him when they were interns. Everyone else hated him. He hated when she looked so fragile and broken. It reminded him of the drowning, which was scary for everyone. He pulled out his phone and called Cristina. "What is it evil spawn?" Cristina asked as she picked up the phone. "It's Meredith." He said. Cristinas stomach dropped. "What happened?" She asked, sensing Alex's sadness. "She got into a car accident. It's- it's bad Cristina." Alex said, his voice cracking. "I'll be there by tomorrow." Cristina said as she hung up. Alex looked at Meredith from the window and saw Derek talking to her.

"Mer, I don't know if you can hear me, but if you can, please listen. I love you so much Mer. I need you. I shouldn't have taken the job in DC." He admitted. "It was stupid and I honestly hate the job. I miss you. I miss Zola's princess tea party's. I miss Bailey babbling random stuff all the time. When you wake up, I'm gonna move back here and stay. I'm so sorry Meredith. I failed you. Again. I know you told me to go to DC, but I shouldn't have listened. I know you thought I would be happy there, living out my 'dream', but Meredith, I already am living my dream. I have the most amazing wife, and I have 2 perfect children. That's my dream. That's all I could possibly ask for. Your so strong Meredith. You've survived worse than a car crash. So please, come back to me. We aren't done, Meredith. I love you so much." He said as he trailed off, not trusting his voice anymore. "I'm gonna do everything in my power to prove to you that I love you. Please wake up." He added.

Derek was so caught up in his thoughts that he didn't even see Merediths glassy green eyes looming straight at him. "Mer?" He asked quietly. She blinked a few times before squeezing his hand. "Okay Mer. I'm gonna page everyone. Relax for a minute." He murmered. He immediately noticed that she wasn't fighting the intubation, which was bad and worried him significantly.

The others doctors came running into the room and stood at her side. "Meredith? Can you open your eyes for me?" Amelia asked as Meredith shut her eyes again, the light sending a searing pain across her head. Meredith opened her eyes and winced when Amelia flashed the penlight in her eyes. "Pupils look good." Amelia said with relief. "Why isn't she breathing over the vent?" Derek cut in. "We don't know yet. She may have fluid in her lungs still." Teddy said softly. Derek nodded and smiled at his wife, who looked confused with tears in her eyes. "Hey. It's okay. Once you start breathing on your own I'll explain every thing." He said softly as he wiped her fallen tears. She leant into his touch and closed her eyes.

A little while later, when many attendings were still in Merediths room, she woke up and started fighting the intubation. Derek shot up from his chair and grabbed her good hand. "It's okay Mer. I'm here. We'll get the tube out soon." Derek whispered. Everyone stood up from their chairs and gathered around. "Grey, I'm gonna take the tube out now. You know the drill." Bailey said. She counted to three and Meredith coughed roughly.

"Der?" Meredith asked quietly.