Chapter 5

Meredith woke up again in a lot of pain. Her head throbbed, and her chest burned with a searing pain due to here broken sternum and her incision. She opened her eyes slowly and looked around. Seeing nobody, Meredith began to panic. She tried to sit up to press the call button, but her chest would not allow it. She whimpered in pain and laid back down gently, hoping someone would come in.

"Mer." Derek said as he came in. Meredith opened her eyes again and smiled weakly when she saw Derek. "How do you feel?" He asked. "Hurts...a lot." Meredith said. She couldn't talk in full sentences due to the burning pain in her chest. "Do you wsnt more meds?" He asked worriedly. "Not...now." She said.

"Grey, nice to see you conscious." Bailey joked as she came into the room. Meredith laughed and then winced. "Laughing...bad." She said slowly. "Grey, you want morphine?" Bailey asked seriously. "I said...don't make me...laugh." Meredith said with a smile. "Grey, your obviously in pain." Bailey tried again. "I'm...good." Meredith said sternly. Bailey rolled her eyes as the rest of her doctors came in.

"Hey Mer." Callie said as she came in. "Hi." Meredith said. "How you feeling?" Jackson asked. "Like... crap." Meredith responded with a small smile. "I'm gonna do a quick neuro check on your Mer, okay?" Amelia asked. Meredith nodded slowly and Amelia began. "Follow my finger." She instructed as she slowly moved her finger left and right. Meredith did it flawlessly and yawned. "I'm gonna check your incision now." Bailey said. She lifted up Merediths gown and revealed the pink scar. She palpated around the area, examining it. "Looks good." Bailey concluded. "And now, I'm gonna listen to your heart and check that sternum." Teddy said. Teddy brought out her stethoscope and placed it on Merediths chest. She flinched at the coolness, but then relaxed again.

"Heart sounds good. Now I'm gonna palpate around your sternum, this will probably hurt." Teddy warned. Meredith nodded and grabbed dereks hand. She pressed her hands on Merediths chest and Meredith immediately tensed up in pain. She groaned and squirmed. "That's it, you're doing good. I'm here." Derek murmered. She nodded, her teeth buried into her lip.

Teddy finally pulled her hands away and Meredith sighed in relief. "Everytbing seems to be healing well so far." Teddy said. Meredith nodded weakly and sank into her pillows. "Grey, I'm giving you something stronger for the pain. Don't even try to argue with me." Bailey said sternly. Meredith, who was too tired and in pain to argue, just nodded. Bailey grabbed a stronger pain med and injected it into Merediths IV. "Ohh thank you." Meredith sighed as the drugs entered her system. Derek chuckled and watched as her eyes closed.

"So she's doing good?" Derek asked. "She's doing well for being hit by a semi. It's gonna be a tough recovery, and she'll probably have to be in here for at least 2 weeks, but she'll be okay." Owen said. Derek nodded and sighed in relief.

Derek was sitting in Merediths room making calls to the NIH, resigning when cristinas voice filled the room. "Meredith Elizabeth Grey!" She yelled, waking up Meredith. Mer jolted awake and sat up, grimacing at the pain. "Ah!" She cried as she lowered herself back down. "Cristina!" Meredith yelled as she noticed her. "Mer! What did you do?" Cristina asked. "Got...hit by a...semi." Meredith explained. "How? What are your injuries?" Cristina asked. "Helped...car accident...victims." Meredith said, looking to Derek to explain her injuries. "She broke her right leg and wrist, had a brain bleed that Amelia had to go in and fix, internal bleeding that they had to go in and fix aswell, and had shrapnel in her heart so we had to break her strernum to fix that." Derek explained. Cristina grimaced at the vast injuries and looked back at Mer.

"Alex called me." Cristina said as she noticed Merediths questioning face. She nodded and smiled. "Missed...you." Meredith said. "I missed you too Mer. Don't ever do this again." Cristina scolded. "I'll...try not to." Meredith replied with a laugh, which she immediately regretted. Cristina noticed this and grabbed a nearby pillow from the couch. She walked over to Meredith and pressed the pillow into her chest. "Keep this here. It will help." Cristina instructed. Meredith nodded and held the cushion to her chest. "Okay. Sorry I woke you up. Go back to sleep and we will talk later." Cristina said as she sat down on the couch next to Derek. "Mer, I gotta go check on the kids. I'll be back later, okay?" Derek asked as he stood up. "Okay...love you." Meredith said sleepily. Derek pressed his lips to her forehead and kissed her gently before leaving.

Derek walked to daycare to see Bailey and Zola and greeted them. "Hi guys!" He exclaimed. "Daddy!" The kids yelled as they ran into his arms. "How's mama?" Zola asked. "Mama is doing good. Want to see her later?" Derek asked. "Yeah!!!" Bailey and Zola yelled. Derek laughed at their enthusiasticness. "Okay. Did you have fun at Auntie Callie and Auntie Arizona's?" Derek asked. "Yeah!! Sofia and me and Bailey played surgeoners." Zola exclaimed. "Ya! An auntie Callie teached us about the bones." Bailey added. He smiled at his future surgeons and hugged them. "Want to see if mama is awake now?" Derek asked. "Yeah!" They yelled. Derek led both kids to Merediths room and smiled when he saw she was up.

"Mama!" Zola yelled as she ran into the room. "Hey...zo! Hey...Bails!" Meredith tried to say happily.  "Can I come up?" Bailey asked. Bailey was a total mamas boy. Derek looked at meredtih and she nodded. "Okay, but you gotta be careful buddy." Derek said. He lifted Bailey up and gently placed him in Merediths good arm. She wrapped her arm around her son and pulled him close. "Wub you mama." He mumbled as he shut his eyes and fell asleep. "Me too mama! Wanna come up!" Zola said. Derek lifted her up and placed her in her other arm, which was casted. Zola snuggled in her moms embrace and also shut her eyes. "They must not have gotten a lot of sleep last night." Derek said with a laugh as he watched his kids sleep in his wife's arms. "You need some sleep too Mer. I'll be here when the kids wake up." Derek said. Meredith nodded and shut her eyes, quickly falling asleep.

Derek decided to take a picture of his family and smiled brightly. He sent it to Addison, his mother, and his sisters. They all heard about Merediths accident, and constantly wanted information and updates. Derek smiled as he sat down on the couch and closed his eyes.