Chapter 35

The next morning, Meredith woke up to a crying baby. Derek was still sleeping soundly in a chair, but she was in a lot of pain as the drugs were wearing. Meredith quietly pressed the call button.

A nurse came in and smiled. "Can you grab her? I don't want to wake him up and I don't think I can move." Meredith said with a laugh as she hissed in pain. The nurse nodded and picked up the small bundle gently and placed it into her arms. "Thank you." Meredith said.

The nurse left and Meredith was enamored her newborn daughter. 10 years ago, Meredith never would've thought she would be in this position. She never thought she'd have a kid, let alone 3, she never thought she'd be married to the love of her life, and she never thought she be this happy.

But now as she holds her baby named in honor of her sister, it's like everything went into perspective. To think she could've lost this all those months ago gave her chills. She never wouldn't had her baby girl. She never would've been able to watch her babies get married or watch them grow up to be doctors.

And that's when Meredith realized she was nothing like her mother. Her mother was a cold woman with eyes only for surgery. She didn't have time for a baby or a husband. But Meredith made the time. That's the difference. She made the time because she loved her kids and husband so much.

Derek woke up and watched his wife. "Hey." He said sleepily, snapping her out of her thoughts. "Hey." She replied with a soft smile. "How long have you been up?" He asked in concern. She was the one who just had lifesaving surgery. "Not too long. This little girl was upset." Meredith replied.

"You didn't get up, did you?" Derek asked. "No. Even if I wanted to I don't think I can." Meredith said with a chuckle. "You need more meds?" He asked. "I'll get them later. I'm okay for now." She said honestly. "And I think our Lexie is hungry." Meredith added.

Derek helped Meredith unstrap her gown. Merediths breasts spilled free and she helped guide her daughter to eat. Lexie latched on immediately and began eating. "Wow. I forgot how weird breast feeding is." She said with a chuckle and a wince. "Hurts?" Derek asked. "Not too bad." She replied.

Derek watched happily as his daughter ate her first meal. This is what he wanted all his life. When zola came into their life's, it was truly one of the happiest days  of his life. And then we they had Bailey, that was one of the happiest days of his life. And now. Today was one of them too. Growing up, Derek always wanted kids.

And now he had 3. And a beautiful woman who he loved so much. When he was younger, he used to imagine playing with the kids and his wife playing with them. It was really a dream come true for Derek. His father would be proud.

He noticed Lexie unlatch and Merediths eyes dip close. Meredith must've been exhausted, especially after surgery. He gently took his daughter from her arms and burped her. Once she fell asleep, he put her into the bassinet and took his seat back in the chair while Meredith was fast asleep.

Derek woke up again to his wife's moans of pain. He stood up and grabbed her hand. "What is it Mer?" He asked worriedly. "Need meds." She said, her voice strained. Derek thumbed her chart. Her pain meds were fully worn off, and no one had come in at all.

He paged Bailey and Addison to the room and they both came in. "Hey." Addison said as they both walked over. "What's wrong?" Bailey asked. "Can you give her something?" Derek asked softly. "You should've gotten some meds an hour ago. You didn't?" Addison asked with a frown as she read her chart. Meredith shook her head. Addison grimaced, knowing how much a c section, let alone a placental abruption hurt from former patients.

A nurse came in quickly after Addison paged and administered more pain meds into Merediths iv, who sighed in relief. "Thank you." She whispered. "No problem. Sorry about that." Addison apologized as she watched Meredith fall asleep.

Bailey and Meredith left the room and Derek was left  alone. He checked the time and it was 6 in the morning. He figured he should get some sleep and the get the other kids and bring them in. So, he closed his eyes and let himself sleep.

A little while later, Derek woke up to Lexie's cries and Merediths soothing voice. Derek got up and picked up their daughter and rocked her slightly. "I want to move." Meredith said with a chuckle. Derek laughed. "The kids should be here any minute. Do you want me to bring them here?" Derek asked. Meredith nodded. Derek placed the baby in her arms and walked off.

"Daddy!" They yelled. "Hey guys. Guess what?" Derek asked enthusiastically. "What?" They asked. "Your baby sister is here." He said with a smile. "Reallt? Is that why mama was bleeding?" Zola asked with a smile. Derek nodded sadly. "Baby sister here?" Bailey asked. "Want to go meet her?" He asked. The kids both nodded and ran off in the direction Derek pointed them In.

"Mama!" Zola and Bailey yelled as they ran in. "Shhh." Meredith hushed softly. The kids eyes went wide when they saw the baby cradled in their mothers arms. "Baby sister?" Zola asked. Derek lifted the kids up on the bed gently. "This is Lexie. Your new sister." Meredith whispered happily. "Auntie lex?" Zola asked. Meredith chuckled. "Yeah, shes named after auntie lex." She replied.

"Lexie." Bailey said in awe. He had never seen someone so small. And now he was a big brother. Bailey leant over gently and kissed her raven blonde fuzz covered head softly, causing his parents to smile. Zola did the same and laughed.

The Shepherd family of 5.

Hey guys!! Hope you enjoyed this chapter. I don't know if I'm going to continue this or not. I feel like it'd be okay if I end it, but do you guys want me to go on a little bit? If you do, please let me know.