Chapter 24

Meredith was woken up by her sons cries through the baby monitor at 4 in the morning on her first day of the 24th week of pregnancy.

She rolled out of bed quickly and tiptoed into baileys room. "What's wrong Bailey boo?" She whispered as she picked his tiny body up into her arms. Bailey didnt respond with words, instead moaning and burrowing into his mother's chest. Zola had spent the night with Sofia. Meredith put her hand on his forehead and frowned when she felt how hot it was. "Aw Bailey." Meredith sighed. She quietly and carefully made her way to the bathroom and grabbed the bottle of kids Tylenol. "Drink this buddy." She said softly as she held the cup up to his lips.

Bailey drank the liquid and cuddled into his mothers check. "That'll make you feel better baby." She said softly as she held him close. "Don't feel good." Bailey mumbled. "I know." She said as she made her way back to baileys room.

"Mama." He cried as he nuzzled into her breast. "It's okay baby. You're okay. Mamas here." Meredith said, running his back gently. "Mama stay with me?" He asked in between sniffles. Meredith sighed and nodded. "Of course bails." She said. "Do you want mama to get in bed with you?" She asked. Bailey nodded.

Meredith stood up and laid down in her sons small race car bed. Bailey was nuzzled across her body, not even on the bed at all, just laying on top of his mother. "Mama." Bailey whimpered. "Go back to sleep bails. I won't go anywhere." Meredith promised as she kissed his head.

It was times that this that Meredith would cherish forever. Not the fact that her son was sick, that broke her heart, but the fact that her son looked to her for comfort and she was able to give it to him. Meredith never got that as a kid. When she was sick, her mother told her to 'Suck it up. Greys are not weak.' So as she sat with her little boy, who was cuddled up on her baby bump, she cherished this moment.

Derek woke up to an empty bed around 6 and looked over to his bedside table at his sons baby monitor. He could see Meredith holding Bailey close, both sleeping peacefully. He smiled softly and got up out of bed. Meredith had the day off, but he did not. He quickly changed into some work clothes and went to get ready in the bathroom.

He quietly entered baileys room and took out his phone. He took a few pictures of his wife and son before pressed a featherlight kiss to both of their foreheads and exiting the room to go to the kitchen. He scribbled a quick note and left it on the counter before leaving.

Meredith woke up once again when Bailey stirred. "Good morning bails." She whispered. "Mama." Bailey said, already sounding a little perkier than earlier. "How you feeling?" She asked. "Good." Bailey mumbled. "Want to eat some breakfast?" Mer whispered. "Yeah mama." Bailey replied. Meredith stood up and placed Bailey on wobbly feet. She smiled when she felt her daughter kick in the womb.

She saw the note on the counter from Derek that read 'Good morning! Should be off of work around 3. Saw you and bails this morning. Love you all.' She smiled and quickly whipped up some scrambled eggs and toast without burning them and gave it to Bailey. She poured herself a cup of decaf tea and made a plate of eggs and toast for herself. "Where dada and zo?" Bailey asked. "Zo slept over at Sofia's and daddy had to go to work." Meredith replied. "Mama Bailey day!" He exclaimed happily. Meredith smiled. Her son was such a mamas boy. "Yeah bails! What do you want to do today if your feeling better?" She asked enthusiastically.

"Wanna facetime auntie Cristina. And then watch cars." Bailey said with a smile. "Okay! Let's finish up our breakfast and get ready then we can do that." Meredith replied as she watched Bailey eat. He could feed himself, but sometimes he had a hard time.

They finished eating and Meredith got himself and herself dressed in some comfy at home attire. "Want to facetime auntie Cristina now?" Meredith asked. Bailey nodded. He had taken an odd liking to Merediths best friend. She pressed the FaceTime
Button and surprisingly, Christina's face filled the screen. "Hi Mer! Hi Bailey!" She exclaimed.

"Hi Cris." Meredith said with a. Smile. "Auntie Cris!" Bailey said happily. "How are you Bailey boo?" She asked. "I good." He responded. "What about you Mer? How's fetus and everyone?" Cristina asked. "Fetus is good, as is Derek and Zola. Bails and I just wanted to say hi. We miss you." Meredith replied. "Aw. I miss you guys too. Hopefully I can visit soon." Cristina replied.

They chatted for a while before Cristina had a surgery to get to. "Cars now mama?" Bailey asked. "Sure." Meredith said. She took the remote and with a few clicks, Cars was on and Bailey was mesmerized. He loved cars, we especially lightning McQueen. Uncle Alex first showed him that.

After a long day at work, Derek came home with Zola and entered the house. Zola ran to Meredith and Bailey on the coach. "Hi mama!" Zola exclaimed as she wrapped her arms around her. "Hi zo! How was your day?" She asked. "It was good. Sofia and I surgeoned with auntie Callie and auntie Arizona." She responded. Bailey talked to his father for a while.

The family spent the rest of the day watching movies and relaxing together, all curled in each other's arms.

Hey guys!! So I know Derek and Zola weren't really In this chapter, but I really love Meredith and baileys mother son relationship. Next chapter will be more Derek Zola centric. Hope you guys are all doing well!