Chapter 28

Derek had the night shift one night and decided to stay there overnight. When he got up in the morning, Bailey and Richard approached him. "Derek?" Richard asked. "What's up?" Derek asked. "I gave Miranda chief of surgery." Richard said proudly. Derek smiled and brought her into a hug. "Congratulations chief!" He exclaimed with a smile.

"Is meredith coming in today?" Bailey asked. "She is. She should be here soon." Derek replied. "I'm giving her chief of general today." Bailey said proudly. Dereks eyes lit up. "Really?" He asked happily. Bailey nodded. "She's gonna be thrilled! When are you gonna do it?" Derek asked enthusiastically. "Probably whenever she gets here." Bailey replied.

Meredith woke up to a poke in the cheek. She opened her eyes and smiled when she saw Zola and Bailey laying next to her. Bailey was resting his head on her 30 week bump. "Good morning." Meredith said softly. "Mornin mama!" Zola exclaimed.

After Meredith got herself and the kids dressed and fed for the day, she got them into the car and drove off to the hospital.

Once they got there, with Bailey perched on her hip and Zola holding her hand, they walked inside together and walked up to daycare.

She smiled when she saw Derek waiting at the daycare. "Hi." She said softly as he pressed her lips against his. "Hey." He replied with a smile. Bailey reached for his father and Derek took him. "How are you?" Derek asked. "Never better." She replied as she took in his happy expression. "What are you hiding?" She asked suspiciously.

"What? I'm not hiding anything." Derek said in fake shock. "You totally are." Meredith said with a giggle as she threw a punch to his shoulder. The kids scurried into daycare and they started walking to the nurses station. "You'll find out soon." He whispered into her ear as he hugged her close, one hand on her waist, the other on her stomach.

Meredith and Derek parted ways when he said he had to check on a patient. Meredith was confused why he was acting all secretive, but shrugged it off knowing she'd probably find out soon.

She walked into the scrub room for her first surgery of the day and smiled at Richard. "Ready?" He asked. "Always." She replied with a smile. As Meredith made the first cut, Richard was proud. and not just any proud, but a fathers proud. He knew Meredith had a tough childhood with no father and an absent mother, but he liked to think that the times she spent with him as a child helped make up for thatchers absence.

She went from an intern dating an attending, to a brilliant surgeon who was about to become the chief of general surgery and a mother of 2, almost three kids. So, he was proud. In a way he's never felt before.

Meredith finished up her surgery flawlessly, and in less than 3 hours, she was out of the OR. The baby was kicking like crazy. She got paged to the conference room, which was weird because she had never been paged there.

She trudged up to the conference room and entered. "Surprise!" People yelled as they jumped up. Meredith wore a confused expression. "For what?" She asked Derek. Everyone was there. Alex, Maggie, Amelia, Cristina, Callie, Arizona, and a ton more of her friends. "This." Bailey said as she handed Meredith a lab coat. "Dr Meredith Grey, chief of general surgery." Bailey read with a smile.

Merediths jaw dropped and she smiled. "Really?" She asked happily. "Really." Bailey said. Meredith smiled largely and hugged her former resident. "Are you the new chief?" She guessed. Bailey nodded. "Congratulations!" Derek yelled, causing everyone else to do so. "Thank you." Bailey and Meredith both said.

"Congratulations, chief." Derek said as he embraced his wide. "This is what you were hiding." She said with a giggle. "Thank you Derek." She said genuinely. "It's my pleasure, chief." He replied. "Stop!" Meredith said with a giggle. "I'll be the chief later tonight." He said huskily, causin shivers to run down her back. "Lookin forward to it." She whispered as she kissed him.

"I always knew we'd be the chiefs eventually." Cristina said as she and Alex came up. "Chief of cardio, chief of general, and chief of peds. Bailey did good." Richard said as he came over. "She did." Derek agreed. "Congratulations Meredith. Your mother would be proud." Richard said as he enveloped her into a hug. "Thank you." She replied.

Later that night, Derek arrived home with the kids before Meredith. "Where mama?" Bailey asked. "Mamas still at work she'll be here soon." Derek replied. "Mama got promoted at work. Do you know what that means?" Derek asked. They shook their heads. "Well, mama gets to run the surgery department now. She's the chief now. We should make her favorite dinner, what do you think?" Derek asked his kids.

"Ya!" The kids exclaimed happily. Derek and the kids went right to work, meticulously crafting their homemade pizza. "Looks good daddy." Zola said proudly. "It does. Mamas gonna love it!" Derek said happily.

When Meredith got home, she smiled at the smell of fresh pizza. "Welcome home, chief!" Derek said sarcastically. "Mama, mama!" Zola and Bailey cheered. "What is it?" Meredith asked enthusiastically. "We makes you pizza. You getted chief." Zola said, beaming with pride. "You did? Let's see it!" Meredith exclaimed.

They dug in to the homemade dinner, which was quite good and then sat on the couch watching a movie. Once they kids were to bed, Meredith and Derek went into the bedroom, where they spent hours doing 'chiefly' things.

Hey guys!!
Hope you enjoyed this chapter! If you have any ideas feel free to drop them!