Chapter 36

The next morning, Meredith woke up feeling good. Derek walked over and sat down on the bed, Lexie cradled in his arms. "How are you feeling?" He asked softly. "Pretty good." Meredith replied as the baby started to cry.

"Are you hungry princess?" Meredith cooed as Derek placed the baby in Merediths arms and unlatched her gown. Lexie eagerly latched on to Merediths breast and drank.

A knock at the door turned Meredith and Derek around. He quickly covered Merediths breasts. "Come in." Derek said softly. And in came Dereks family.

Meredith looked in surprise as all 5 Shepherd woman came filing through the door. "Oh!" Carolyn exclaimed as she saw the baby eating her meal. "We can come back when your done." Lizzie offered. "No, it's okay." Meredith replied with a smile.

"What are you guys doing here?" Derek asked. "Once you told us, we couldn't wait. We caught the nearest flight." Carolyn replied. Lexie finished eating and opened her eyes and looked around at the new faces.

Derek gently took the baby from Merediths arms and smiled. "Guys, meet Lexie. Lexie Ellis Shepherd." Derek said softly as he showed the baby to the women. They all looked at Lexie in awe, tears forming in Carolyns eyes. "She's gorgeous." Carolyn whispered.

"Want to hold her?" Derek offered, his own eyes misty. Carolyn nodded, not being able to say anymore words and took the tiny bundle. "Hi. I'm your nana." She whispered to the baby.

Lexie was passed around to each Shepherd sister one by one. "Meredith, Derek told us about what happened. How are you feeling?" Nancy asked in concern. "I'm okay. A little sore, but okay." Meredith replied with a smile.

"Good. That must've been scary." Kathleen said sympathetically. Meredith nodded and shifted in the bed. "Well, we'll be back later. Get some sleep you guys, you'll need it." Carolyn said with a chuckle as she put a squirming Lexie in the bassinet. "Thanks for coming." Derek said softly. "Of course dear." She replied.

After the shepherds left, the door opened once again, revealing Cristina and Alex. "Mer, are you okay?" Cristina asked in concern. "I'm good." Meredith replied with a chuckle. Derek picked up Lexie once again and smiled. "Meet Lexie." He said with a proud, fatherly smile. "Woah. She looks just like you Mer." Alex said at the resemblance.

"She's gorgeous." Derek said with a smile. "Mer, I don't like kids, but yours is pretty cute." Cristina admitted. Derek gently put the baby in Alex's arms and watched as he made silly faces and talked to the baby. "I'm your uncle Alex." He said quietly. Meredith watched happily as her best friend, practically her brother held her newborn daughter.

Alex passed the baby to Cristina, who by Merediths surprise, seemed to enjoy it. "And I'm your auntie Cristina. I'll teach you all about hearts so you can grow up and be a cardio god like me." She said with a small smile. "You feeling okay?" Alex asked. "I'm good guys. Just sore." Meredith replied at her friends concerned nature.

Cristina and Alex got paged away and left them. After Derek Lexie down, he looked at Meredith. "Thank you Mer." Derek said softly as he looked at her. "For what?" She asked in confusion. "For giving me a family. For giving me three beautiful kids." Derek replied as he smoothed back her hair and kissed her gently. "Thank you Der." Meredith responded with a smile.

"You remember all those years ago when you asked me if it was because of the 'chase'?" Derek asked, using air quotes. Meredith giggled and nodded, urging him to continue. "It was never the chase. I fell In love with you the moment I met you." Derek said softly.

"And now look at us almost 12 years later, married and 3 kids. I couldn't have a better family, Mer. I love you so much." Derek said sincerely. "Derek, I love you too. More than you know." She whispered, holding back tears. "I can't believe I almost lost you." He whispered. "But you didn't. I'm still here." Meredith said. "Forever." She added. "Forever." He repeated.

The day went by quickly, visitors in and out. Richard came last and smiled. "She's absolutely beautiful you guys." He said as he held the small bundle close. "She likes her grandpa Richard." Meredith said with a smile, causing Richards face to light up. Meredith and Richard always had an odd relationship, like a father and daughter. But now when Meredith referred to him as a grandpa, he was happy. "Yeah, I'm your grandpa Richard." He said quietly and happily to the baby.

Finally, everyone left the room and Derek had arrived with the two other kids, who were infatuated by their new sister. "I love you." Meredith said. "I love you too." Derek replied quietly as they watched their 3 kids cuddle.

Extraordinary together.

Hey guys!! Thank you all so much for the support on this story. This it it! I loved writing this so much and your guys support inspired me. Thank you all so much for reading and I hope your doing well! If you have any stories or anytning you want me to write in the future feel free to drop them and I'll look at them! ❤️