Chapter 19:

The docks were filled with Rafe's men, each one stood silently with rifle in hand as he strode past them to reach Sal. Sal stared sullenly at his friend and shook his head, "His body was dumped inside the warehouse last night boss."
"Who was guarding?" Rafe asked, his fist clenching at his side.
"Toni and Jose." Sal muttered as he scanned the lines of men beyond Rafe.
Rafe nodded, a sigh escaping his lips, "And Jose?"
Sal squirmed uncomfortably as he pointed to the warehouse door, "Drugged boss."
Rafe paused, pondering how one man went missing and another was simply drugged, "Something is off here Sal. I want the area swept for any trackers or other intel devices, bombs, or weaponry. Clear the men until we know it's safe."
Nodding Sal barked out orders to the men and within minutes the area was empty, Sal looked at Rafe with a sympathetic smile, "I'll take care of the body and getting it ready for a proper burial as she wanted. You can head home to Gaia if you like boss."
"I'm going to. But how am I supposed to sever that last thread of hope she is clinging to?" Rafe mumbled.
Silence enveloped the two men. Neither knew how to tell her that the only family she had was gone.

****
Gaia smiled brightly upon hearing the front door creak open and close loudly. She could hear the heavy footfalls as the Person strode purposefully through the house. Popping out of the kitchen she beamed up at an worried looking Rafe. Her smile fell as she looked up at him, "Is everything okay Rafe?"
A pained look washed over his face, "No, mia Rosa, it is not. I have news." He took her tiny hand in his large one and lead her into the living room. Sitting her down on the couch he sat beside her and held her hands on his own, "Gaia, I really don't know how to tell you this. I've wracked my brain the entire ride home. I'm so sorry baby, this is all my fault."
Gaia's eyes searched his face as her heart hammered in her chest, tears welled in her eyes, "Rafe, what's happened?"
He looked down, his grip on her hands tightening, "I'm so sorry I failed you Gaia. I didn't find him in time."
A strangled sob escaped her lips as she pulled herself away from Rafe, "He's dead? No, no it can't be! You promised you'd find him. You promised Rafe!" She shrieked. Rafe pulled her into his chest, securing her within his arms and she screamed and cried, her fists beat on his chest as she came undone. Her wails filled the house and sobs wracked her body as she pleaded for Rafe to be lying. His heart broke as he held onto the girl. He whispered softly in her ear, hushing her and whispering his apologies over and over. An hour passed and she was now a hiccuping mess laying in his arms, her face was now burried in the front of his soaked shirt. He stood carefully with her in his arms, cradling the exhausted girl to him he moved to the stairs. Ascending the steps he carried her into their room and laid her on the bed. Her exhaustion was taking over as he pulled covers over her body. Her hand wrapped around his as he got ready to leave, "Please don't leave me too Rafe."
A pained smile crossed his lips, "I'm here babe. I'm not leaving you."
Settling on the other side of the bed he drew her back against his chest holding her in the safety of his arms.

****
Three days had passed since Fernando's body had been found. Gaia stood silently watching the sunset outside her window. Her mind wandered through her childhood memories, each filled with a happy father who doted endlessly upon his little girl. She knew he wasn't coming home deep down inside long before Rafe had broke the news but she had held onto that hope she was wrong with every fibre of her being. She hadn't said more than a few words to Rafe since he had come home and told her. She knew that he had tried, she wasn't even mad at him really. She blamed herself for her father's death. Maybe she should have begged him to stay or gone with him. He would be alive still she told herself. But in her heart she knew that fate had dealt the hand. She wasn't ready to accept it yet. In time she would. But for now she needed to believe that she could have stopped this. The rational side of her brain had shut down and she just needed to recover.
Rafe felt as though he was living with a ghost, Gaia seemed nothing like herself. She moved about the house in silence, she let the cooks and maids work without her, she slept beside him but did not engage with him. Her laughter and smiles that had filled his home with a joy it had never known before ceased. Sal walked into his office, sadness evident in his eyes, "Hey boss, how is she?"
"I'm not really sure. She hasn't said anything. I can't quite tell if she is still in shock or it's grief." Rafe mumbled as he flipped through paperwork.
Sal nodded absentmindedly, "Still no word on Toni."
"I know. Nicola is laying low too." He muttered. His hands came.up to cover his face and he sighed deeply, "Sal, what do I do? I feel like I've lost the only thing in my life that mattered. She's a shell."
Sal stood quietly for a moment before answering, "Give her time boss. Just give her time."