Chapter 4:

'BANG'

"Wow." Rafe mumbled as Gaia hit the bullseye for the twentieth time in a row. She never missed or even wavered from dead center.
Antonio stood behind Rafe watching, slowly he walked up to Rafe, "Boss, she's hit man material. If Fernando is gone.. "
Rafe held his hand up to silence him, "Toni, my father would kill me if I put Fernando's daughter into harm's way like that. I myself cannot bring myself to even think of that."
Rafe watched Gaia mesmerized by her confidence. When she turned and smiled at him he found himself caught up in the way her eyes sparkled. He cleared his throat, "That was quite a show Gaia. Your father taught you well."
"Thank you Rafe. My papa is a paranoid man. He wanted me to be able to take care of myself. He always told me that if anything happened I was to shoot first. He said he had friends who would take care of it. Only last year did I find out what he meant." She spoke softly, a single tear trailed down her cheek. Rafe was unable to stop himself and quickly reached out, wiping the tear from her cheek. She stared at him in suprise.
"Sweet Gaia, I will find your papa. I promise." He murmured softly.
She nodded slowly, "I want him home Rafe. Dead or alive. Papa deserves to be laid beside momma. Not in a ditch somewhere."
His phone beeped making him glance down at the device and read the message quickly. He nodded in understanding of her statement and his cold expression returned, "I understand. I'll take you back to the house now Gaia. I have to do some things."

****

'Crack'

Blood spattered Antonio's shirt as he punched the man in the face. Raffaele stood behind him watching as Antonio roughed up the traitorous rat they had caught nosing around town looking for a girl fitting Gaia's description.
"I'll ask again Vinnie, why are you searching for the girl?" Toni growled out as he wiped the blood from his face.
The man laughed as his head lolled against the back of the chair he was tied in. His dark eyes landed on Raffaele, "Boss, if I were you I'd sleep with one eye open or that pretty little visitor you have will be short lived."
"Hmm... Vinnie, I don't think you're going to be long for this world. Maybe you can tell me where Nicola is hiding? Perhaps we can work a deal?" He encouraged with a stoney smile.
Vinnie laughed, "And sign my death certificate with Nicola instead? Nah, not what I'm looking for."
"Either way you die Vinnie. Now you can choose by whom and how fast if you just give me the location." Rafe growled out as he studied the man.
Vinnie snickered, "I'm not stupid. But I'll tell you this, your man is still alive. But only until he gets the girl."
Rafe picked up a hammer from the table beside him and stepped forward, landing the blow directly on Vinnie's right hand. Screams of agony filled the room. Turning away from the cursing Vinnie Rafe smiled at Antonio, "He's yours Toni." He kept walking as he hears Toni snicker. He had a beautiful woman to see.

****
Gaia stirred the pasta in the boiling water upon the stove. Her grandmother's gnocchi recipe sat on the counter beside her. With swift movements she laddled the pasta from the water and dished it onto plates. Rafe's amused chuckle filled the room, "Missed cooking?"
She turned to him with a brilliant smile on her face, "I wanted to make you dinner. I always made dinner for papa."
"It smells amazing." He murmured coming up behind her and leaning close to her ear. Gaia's breath hitched, this man made her stomach flip and flutter. She let out a shaky breath as Rafe whispered softly against her ear, "Though you smell better than any food I've ever smelled mia rosa."
Blushing Gaia turned as he backed away and looked up into his face. Breathlessly she said, "Surely you've had the finest food in all of Italy."
"Yes, I have had the finest cuisine prepared by the most renowned Chef's. I've also had the most beautiful and regal of women. But you put all of them to shame Gaia. You are more intoxicating than any wine."
Raffaele stepped away from Gaia and shook his head, this woman was enticing and intoxicating in ways no other woman had ever appealed to him. The very thought of Nicola touching a single strand of her luscious dark hair made his chest blaze with fury, what was it about this tiny woman that made him lose control and speak to her in tongues of adoration? He sat at the bar and watched her finishing up the meal. His eyes following her every move. She moved with grace, the hypnotic sway of her hips mesmerized him and he couldn't look away.
"Boss, Ma'am, good evening." A deep voice rumbled from the doorway.
Rafe looked to the voice and smiled, "Ah Sal, so glad to see you back. Tell me, how was the states?"
The man smiled, his face softening, "Good. Seeing Alaina for the first time in so many years felt wonderful. I couldn't be more proud of my sister if I tried."
Rafe nodded and motioned for him to sit, "Sal, this is Gaia Bianchi. Fernando's daughter. Gaia this is Salvatore Russo. My best friend and right hand."
Gaia took in Sal's appearance. He had caramel skin and chocolate brown locks that were a tousled mass of curls, his eyes were hazel with flecks of what looked to be gold and he had a pronounced jaw with light stuble. She nodded in his direction and murmured softly, "Hello. Join us for dinner perhaps?"
Sal grinned happily, "I was hoping you'd ask that gnocchi looks like heaven."
She chuckled lightly and served up three plates before sitting down with the men and enjoying her dinner.
Rafe cleared his throat and smiled softly at Gaia, "Thank you for this. It's amazing."
She nodded gently, a blush dusting her cheeks, "You're welcome Rafe. I'm glad I could please you."
Sal nudged Rafe under the table and smiled, "I'm sure you will please him many more times Ms. Gaia. He's definitely got a soft spot for your..um.. cooking."
Rafe kicked Sal's shin under the tabletop and smiled at Gaia nervously, "Uh, I am sure you will. You're an amazing chef."
Gaia starred at the two for a moment in silent contemplation before she smiled a little and went back to her food as Rafe glared at a snickering Sal.