Chapter 22:

Gaia woke to an empty bed, her loins ached from the events of the previous night but her mind was content. She knew without question that her Rafe wanted her in every way. His passion for her had not dimmed as the night wore on, he had shown her so much respect and adoration she thought she may faint dead away from the sweetness of it all. She smiled in happiness and hugged the pillow beside her that still smelled of his cologne.

****
"How does he know every move we make? The men have been gone over with a fine tooth comb." Raffeale raged to Phillip.
The other man shrugged and continued to smoke his cigar. After a few minutes he set the cigar in the ash tray and looked at Rafe, "Who told you that Nicola was approaching the farm house?"
"Sal of course." Rafe grumbled.
Phillip nodded slowly, "And he was here?"
Rafe nodded , "We have cameras and alarms everywhere. It's not hard to find someone if they are sneaking in."
Phillip raised a questioning brow, "And the boy that was there? Has he been checked?"
"He's been her friend for years Phillip." He muttered.
Phillip grinned, "So that was a no. You should know better than anyone else how easily people are bought off Raffeale."
Glaring at his friend he snarled, "Shut up. That grave has long been sealed. Do not open it."
But Phillip was not the type to let the dead sleep. Instead he shook his head and laughed, "Come now Rafe, surely you have not forgotten such a lesson learned. Such a tender age you were at the time. You, Sal, and Toni. All of you. Perhaps one of you learned the lesson better than the others."
Rafe gripped the edge of his desk, his knuckles turning white, "Phillip, if you're trying to say you think Sal or Toni are behind this then I think you are insane. Sal has been my best friend since I was in diapers and Toni has been missing for quite a while now."
"Yes, I'm aware. Toni disappeared while Jose was simply drugged. Seems fishy." Phillip answered,
Rafe sunk into his office chair and rubbed his temple,"Phillip, I'm exhausted. I'm chasing leads that are nothing while doing my best to shield her here at the same time."
"I know chum. And that is why I flew here as soon as you texted me last night. You need a new perspective." Phillip quipped, his blue eyes sparkling with a mischievous glint, "Besides, I still need to meet the beauty who has wrapped you around her little finger. I've heard she's quite the looker."
Rafe rolled his eyes, his arms crossed as he leaned back, "Phillip shut up. She's mine. If you so much as breathe in her direction I'll shoot you."
"Come on now Raffeale, don't be like that." The man pouted.
Rafe shook his head "I do not want a repeat of you and Sal. Or you and any man who has an attractive companion for that matter. I know how you are."
"And how is that old chum?" Phillip asked, his eyes narrowed.
Rafe smiled in amusement, "You, old chum, are a 'ho'. A male one. Should have been a stripper."
"I like the idea Raffeale, I'd certainly give the women what they paid for." Phillip mused, his lips turned up in a grin.
Rafe chuckled, "You don't even deny it."
"Look, who am I to deny the ladies a taste of perfection?" Phillip grinned as he flexed.
Rafe closed his eyes and leaned back in his chair, sighing in exasperation, "So full of yourself. What's so great about you? Blue eyes and blonde hair?"
Phillip gasped in mock offense, "Excuse me but last I checked blue eyes, beachy blonde hair, tall, and killer abs was a recipe for a god like appearance. All the ladies fawn over baby blues and a sexy body."
"You're an idiot." Rafe muttered.
Phillip sniffed derisively, "So are you."

****
Gaia walked toward Rafe's office as she ran a brush through her hair. She wanted to ask him if he would braid it for her so she could go to the gym room. Upon opening the door she was startled to find Rafe glaring at another man. The attention of both men quickly snapped to her and she blushed, "I'm sorry, I didn't know you were working."
Rafe smiled gently, "It's okay Gaia. Come in, what's the matter?"
She slowly entered the room fully and shut the door behind her, sizing up the newcomer who smiled at her. She moved to Rafe's side and bent down to whisper in his ear, "I won't demean you in front of him. But can you braid my hair later so I can go workout?"
Rafe captured her face with his hands and cupped her cheeks, bringing her lips down to meet his. When he let her go he motioned for her to sit in his lap and took the brush from her, "My sweet Gaia, I find nothing demeaning about caring for you. Be it protecting you or simply doing your hair. If Phillip, the fool over there with the dopey smile, thinks of me badly for it then I'm afraid he has not matured into the man I thought he had."
Phillip scoffed, "I'm more mature than you chum."
"Sure you are. That's why I had to get you out of trouble so many times." Rafe grumbled.
"Who do you always call when things are going badly? Oh, that's right, me." Phillip countered, a smug smile on his face.
Rafe rolled his eyes as he concentrated on laying one strand of Gaia's hair over the other, "I call you because I trust you and I know you learned from the best. Even if you can be childish your work is top notch."
Gaia giggled as Phillip squealed and clapped his hands together. He smiled brightly, sniffing and pretending to wipe away fake tears he cried out, "I knew you loved me!"
"Nut case." Rafe muttered.