Chapter 5:

"Raffaele, any word on Fernando's location?" Marco asked walking up behind his son who stood on the veranda staring out at the first rays of sunlight.
"Not on his location. We've had threats and such but finding him is proving hard. " he grumbled.
Marco nodded and sighed softly, "I see. Thank you for trying son. How's Gaia?"
Rafe smiled gently and looked over at his father, "She misses him but she is doing well. Fernando prepared her well for this day. "
"And are you adjusting okay to having her?" Marco asked as he studied his son.
Rafe sighed, "Too well dad. I like her. A lot. More than I want to admit. She's such a gentle girl on the outside but inside she's as tough as her old man."
Marco laughed, "I'm not surprised my son. She is a Bianchi after all."

****
Gaia glared up at Sal, "I have to go to town Sal. Either let me go or take me. Personally I think Rafe needs you far more than I do."
Sal chuckled in amusement at the tiny figure in front of him, "You realize I could toss you over my shoulder and carry you wherever I wanted with no issue right?"
"Oh shush. I'd scream if you laid a single finger on me." She grumbled in defiance.
He grunted, "Rafe said I am to watch over you. So I will. I'll take you into town."
"Fine. Just don't follow me into every store okay?" She pleaded.
"I have to though Ms. Gaia." He grumbled.
She sighed in exasperation and threw her hands into the air, "For Fudge sakes...."
"Fudge?" Sal chuckled, "Are you five?"
She stomped her foot and glared at him, "I don't need to be a potty mouth."
He laughed and shrugged, "Fair enough. Where we going in town?" 
"The grocery store and pharmacy at the least please Sal." She answered.
He nodded and opened the door, ushering her out and into a waiting car, "Okay, are you picking up stuff to make more delicious Gnocchi?"
She giggled and slid into the back seat of the car, "I can.  I was going to get the stuff for crepes and homemade tortellini."
Sal grinned, "Spinach tortellini?"
"I can do that Sal. No worries." A smile lit up her face.
From the balcony above the driveway Rafe watched the two entering the car, a smile ghosted across his face as he watched the animated chatter between the two. Antonio approached Rafe and handed him a letter, "From Nicola Sir."
He frowned and stared at the envelope, "How is he getting these here? Dropping them at our gate yet nobody ever sees them."
"No idea boss. I've asked all the guards, nothing sir." He growled out.
Rafe stared after the car as it pulled from the driveway, "Find out how Toni. I don't care what it takes." His mind wandered to the girl and he sent a quick text to Sal, 'Dad's party is coming up... make sure she will be presentable for it.'

****
Sal smiled as he ushered Gaia into an upscale boutique, "Gaia, we have a party coming up. It's a birthday for Marco. I know you will be attending, let's find you something to wear."
Her eyes widened and she blushed, "Sal, Rafe hasn't asked me to come..."
"He expects you. Now come on." He chuckled.
Gaia tried on gown after gown, twisting and turning before Sal's scrutinizing gaze. Finally she was in the last dress. As she walked out to the platform and twirled in front of the mirrors she gasped in awe. The deep royal blue dress swirled elegantly around her legs, a slit ran up to mid thigh, soft folds of fabric hugged her hips and torso, and a plunging neckline displayed the caramel skin of her ample bosom. Sal's jaw dropped, "Gaia I have a sudden desire to drag you off like a cave man. You look sexy as hell."
She blushed and looked down, "Sal, you wouldn't want to really.  I don't think I'd be able to satisfy a man of the world."
"You're too cute Gaia. I'm sure you would satisfy any man with such raving beauty." He laughed as he motioned for the shop attendant.

****

Rafe watched the girl as she twirled around the kitchen, her movements were graceful and confident as she sang along Celine Dion and danced around the table making pasta. Flour was smudged on her nose and cheeks. As she noticed Rafe's intimidating presence she turned crimson and stuttered out, "I'm s-sorry Rafaelle."
He shrugged and smiled in amusement at her, "No, no. Don't worry about it. I was enjoying watching you. You're very graceful."
"I took ballet privately from the time I was five until I turned sixteen. " she confided as she piled pasta into a bowl.
Rafe nodded in appreciation, "Your father raised a well rounded woman."
She smiled gently at the mention of her father, "Papa always said mama wanted to make sure I could fill any role as a woman. She was a strong woman herself. Talented in so many things my papa said."
Rafe found himself walking up to Gaia, his arms caging her against the counter. His eyes searched her face for fear and found none. He glanced at her lips, plump and inviting. His head dipped and he captured her lips with his, her sweet flavor invading his mouth and he deepened the kiss. Too soon she broke away from him, her lips swollen from the desperate kiss he had given her. He reached up, tracing her jaw with his finger. She shivered under his touch, a soft whimper escaping her. He growled lowly as she bit her bottom lip. Stepping away he murmured softly, "Forgive me Gaia. I needed to know what you tasted like."
She brought her fingers up against her swollen lips, "I have never kissed anyone before.  I couldn't think of a better first kiss to be honest Rafe."
He stared at the girl in shock, "I'm your first?"
She blushes and nods. Rafe pushes off the counter and turns. His frame once more fills the doorway as she reaches out and touches his sleeve, "Rafe."
He shook his head, "Night Gaia. I'll be in my office."