Chapter 7:

As the first rays of sun soaked through the curtains Gaia stirred. She felt overly warm and something heavy was across her waist. Forgetting for a moment the terror of the previous night she opened her eyes and stared in confusion at the dark walls and drapes. Her eyes landed on the hand that held her captive, for a moment terror rose in her chest only to be quelled by the sound of Rafe's voice, "Easy mia rosa, it's only me. Remember your window was broken last night?"
Rolling over to face Rafe her heart shot to her throat, he was perfect in the morning. His smile was lazy, his features softened, and his voice was that dreamy blend of husky and sleepy. She could get lost in him right now. With a small smile she murmured softly, "I'm sorry I slept in your bed. I could have taken another room."
Rafe shook his head and pushed a few strands of her hair away from her face, "No, I didn't mind sharing with you Gaia. I quite enjoyed it."
"Thank you. I know you're not used to this. I didn't mean to be so frightened last night. You must think.."
He interrupted her rambling with a laugh, "I don't think anything bad Gaia. You did well with it all considering."
A blush crept across her cheeks, "I best go get ready for the day Rafe."
His arms tightened around her, "We could get ready together mia rosa."
Gaia felt her face heat up and shook her head rapidly, "I'm fine getting ready alone." She hurriedly leaped from bed and dashed for the door, "I'll see you later Rafe."
Chuckling he watched her go and smiled, "Soon mia piccola rosa. Soon I will capture you as you have captured me."

****

"What do you mean you have nobody of suspicion Toni?" Rafe growled out as he slammed his fist on his desk.
"I'm sorry sir, everyone seems to be clean." He answered as he took a step back.
Sal leaned against the bookcase to Rafe's right deep in thought, "Maybe it's someone we aren't considering.  Have you checked into the gardeners and maids?"
"I checked the maids. I didn't check the gardeners." He grumbled.
Rafe slapped his desk, "Then check!"
Antonio scrambled from the office leaving Sal and Rafe to continue working. Rafe sat at his desk, taking a deep breath and raking his fingers through his hair he stared down at the note that had flown through Gaia's window the previous night. Sal took the chair opposite him and lit a cigarette,"We'll find the creep Rafe, don't worry."
"I can't help but worry. If anything were to happen to her..." he trailed off as he poured whiskey into the shot glass beside him.
"I get it. You're getting attached to her. Raffaele she was born into this life. Danger and death are pretty common place. If you don't want her hurt get her out of this life." Sal took a long drag of his cigarette and stared at his friend. 
Rafe groaned, "I know Sal.  I know what you're saying. But I'm selfish. I'm selfish because I want her. I want her in my bed, in my arms, in my life!"
Sal was silent for a few minutes, he finished his cigarette and lit another before he spoke again to Rafe, "Be selfish then. But expect for her to be targeted for the rest of her life."
He nodded solemnly and took another shot of whiskey, "She already is because she's Fernando's daughter. I can't change that no matter what. "

****
"Hey, Gaia!" Sal called out as he rounded the corner into the kitchen. She looked us and smiled at him, her eyes sparkled happily, "Oh hi Sal! What's going on?"
He scratched his chin and grinned at her, "You know you've got Raffaele under some sort of spell?"
She cocked her head to the side quizically, "What do you mean?"
"He's head over heels about you. Going crazy up in that office trying to find anything that might help him pinpoint where the rat is." He hummed as he leaned against the counter with his arms over his chest and a triumphant smile on his face.
She shook her head, "Surely not. I'm just a favor he promised to be taken care of."
Laughing heartily Sal shook his head, "You're in denial. He has fallen hard dear Gaia."
Suddenly Rafe appeared in the doorway, his eyes flashed with something momentarily before it was covered quickly with irritation, "Sal why don't you let the lady cook without bugging her?"
Sal was quick to leave, smiling as he vanished from the kitchen with a final wink in Rafe's direction.  Rafe sat at the breakfast bar and sipped a cup of coffee Gaia handed him. He watched her every move as she kneeded dough to make a fresh loaf of bread. She looked adorable as she concentrated on her baking. He watched until she left the dough to rise before he walked over to her and backed her against the counter top. His arms caged her in front of him. Gaia stared up at the beast of a man in front of her. His delicious aroma made her knees weak. His head dipped lower as she stared up at him in expectancy until finally his soft lips captured hers in a gentle, lingering kiss.  As he pulled away she found herself longing for another touch and slowly she reached out, placing her hand on his chiseled chest she let her hand slide down his abs. His dark eyes watched her intently, "Mia rosa, if you want more you only need ask. I will move the heavens for you."
Staring up into his lustful eyes she licked her lips slowly and stood on tip toes. Her arms snaked around his neck and she pulled him down to her before she murmured softly, "Di nuovo grande papà."
He growled and smashed his lips to hers, devouring her sweet lips until they could stand no more. Breathing heavily he laid his forehead against hers, "Big papa huh?"
She giggled, " Yep. You're my grande papà."
Dragging her body up against his he burried his face in her neck, "I like it mia rosa."