Chapter 9:

Gaia stood eyeing herself in the mirror. Tonight she would be dancing with Rafe at his father's party. She silently thanked Sal for making sure she had such a beautiful gown. She carefully clasped together the necklace he had brought her as well, admiring how well the items complimented each other. With a satisfied sigh she sat at her vanity and began applying makeup. Simple smokey eyes, a light blush, and a deep wine colored lip completed her look. She soon moved onto her hair and swept it up into a sleek high pony with tendrils of hair framing her face. She had left a chunk of hair out of the pony which she braided together and ran up the side of her head to wrap around the elastic in her hair, effectively hiding it. With a satisfied sigh she left the room to find Rafe. She hasn't made it very far when Sal approached in a sleek gray suit, "M'lady, I have a gift for you from Rafaele."
She smiled gently, "What token has he sent you with Sal?"
Grinning wide he held out the small velvet box to her and flipped it open, "Matching teardrop earrings to suit your neclace."
The sparkling earrings made her gasp, teardrop diamonds dangled from a delicate silver chain and sparked in the hallway light. With a squeal she carefully put them on and grinned at Sal, "They are perfect."
He smiled at her, " Come on gorgeous your man awaits."
As they descended the stairs into the milling group of people she gripped onto Sal's arm. He smiled reassuringly and led her into the ballroom where Marco and Rafe stood conversing with guests. As soon as Rafe laid eyes on her he excused himself and hurried over, pulling her into his arms he kissed her softly, "Forgive me Gaia, you are too ravishing tonight."
A blush spread across her cheeks, " You're very handsome tonight too Rafe." It wasn't a lie, in his black suit with a wine red undershirt and black tie, he looked delectable. She allowed Rafe to spin her onto the dance floor, as music took over the ballroom and people dipped and twirled along with the band. She caught sight of Marco smiling towards them and gave him a little wave. The older man beamed and blew her a kiss. Rafe's low rumbling voice filled her ears, "You have bewitched my father Gaia. Your sorcery knows no bounds."
"Perhaps, or perhaps it is you all whom have bewitched me Rafaele." She giggled in amusement.
He rumbling laugh made her chest bubble with happiness as he looked down at her with twinkling eyes, "Oh my sweet Gaia what am I to do about you?"
She tipped her face up and stared into his eyes, her lips slowly curling into a smirk, "Oh I can think of many things papa."
His eyes darkened as he pulled her closer and dipped his head to trail kisses across her jaw until he captured her lips with his. When he pulled away he growled out, "I have many things I want to do to you baby girl."
As they stood smiling at each other the lights suddenly went out and chaos broke out as gun fire erupted. Glass shattered, screams pierced the night, and Rafe found himself behind an overturned table shielding Gaia from the hail of gunfire.
"We gotta move Rafe. We have to get out of here." Gaia urged as she lowered herself to the floor.
Knowing she was right he urged her to crawl forward and followed slowly behind her. As they arrived at the ballroom door they found Sal and Marco firing from behind the heavy doors into the ballroom where the attackers were shattering windows to enter.
Rafe picked Gaia up and handed her to Sal, "Get in the cars and get out of here. Take her and dad. Get to the safe house. Now. "
Sal nodded and drug Gaia away with Marco even though she fought to stay with Rafe. As Rafe continued to fire into the ballroom over the top of screaming guests he was relieved to know Sal would take care of his Gaia. Right now he was needed here, to remind everyone of whom they were crossing so brazenly.

****

Gaia moaned on the back seat of the SUV as it careened down the road, Marco held pressure on the bullet wound in her leg as he growled at Sal, "Why didn't Antonio clear the gates? Where was that big gorilla?"
Sal shook his head, "No idea sir."
"Well because of his negligence my son will have all of our heads for Gaia being hit." He snarled, his face red with anger.
Sal nodded and sighed in defeat, "I know sir. I'm sorry."
Marco shook his head, "I'm not mad at you Sal. It wasn't your fault they had an ambush waiting for us. You did good getting us out alive kid. I just know Rafe isn't going to like this."
Sal nodded slowly, "He's changed since she came around sir. He's calmer, happier, heck I'd say he's more of a family man now."
Marco looked down at the girl beside him who was pale and sweaty from the pain. A smile ghosted across his face, "She's made him more of a man. A cold hearted asshole to everyone but her."
"Wrapped around her finger he is." Sal chuckled.
Marco petted Gaia's forehead and smiled down at her gently, "Such a blessing she is and she doesn't even know it."
Sal nodded as he concentrated on the dark mountainside roads ahead, "We'll be at the house soon sir. Do you want me to call Doc?"
Marco nodded, "Call him please Sal. Tell him to meet us there."
Sal nodded and quickly placed the call as Marco petted Gaia's head and spoke to her gently, "I don't know if you can hear me Gaia, but you are one of the sweetest and bravest women I've ever met. My son needs you. No matter what happens I hope you never give up on him."