Chapter 6:

Rafe glared at Antonio and Sal, "Someone sent all these things. There has to be a pattern or something somewhere."
Sal shrugged, "All of them appear at the gate, all are found in the morning around shift change. The camera functions properly. It's like magic. One second it's not there and suddenly it appears in the frame."
Rafe growled, "We have to have a rat. There is no way this could happen otherwise."
Toni shifted, "Boss we could change up shifts and see what happens. Maybe delivery times will change and we'll have a suspect to start with."
Sal nodded in agreement, "Let me make the changes Rafe."

****
Gaia sat in her room staring absentmindedly at a photo of her papa. Her mind raced as she studied the happy memory in her hand. Oh papa, I miss you so much. I know Raffaele is trying but my heart breaks a little more with each passing day. I hope if you are still alive papa that you aren't hurt, that would break my heart.
A soft knock on the door brought he out of her thoughts as she called out for the person to enter. Sal strode in, a big smile on his face, "I brought you something! "
"What's that Sal?" She asked curiously as he held out a bag.
He smirked, his hazel eyes dancing mischeviously, "Well I wanted to get you something to wear with the gown we got you, so I went into town and found something perfect. Open the bag."
She plucked a small box from the bag and slowly opened it to reveal a beautiful silver chain with a diamonds appearing to drip from it. Each diamond was held in delicate silver and shone brightly. Her eyes went wide and she looked up at Sal, "Is this real? Oh my goodness, Sal why would you spend so much on me!"
"It's real. No doubt there. As for why that's my own business. " he smirked victoriously, "Oh and no giving it back. "
"Fudge..." she huffed out, "Fine I'll just get you a super nice gift too!"
He laughed and patted her head, "Nope. Then I'll just have to do it again."
"Darn you Sal." She hissed.
A huge grin spread across his face, "I win."
She glared menacingly, picking up a pillow and chucking it at Sal who simply dodged it and ran out the door screaming, "MUAHAHA! I win!"
Raffaele was walking up the hallway when Sal came darting from Gaia's room. He arched his brow in question as his best friend laughed hysterically. Sal patted his shoulder, "I found the perfect necklace to go with her dress and gave it to her. She's mad I said she can't give it back."
"Does it match the earrings and bracelet I bought her?"
Sal winked, "Absolutely Rafe. She's gonna flip when you give them to her though. Be prepared to dodge a pillow."
Rafe smiled at Sal, "Too bad she missed your ugly mug."

*****
Something wasn't right. Gaia couldn't put her finger on what but as she sat on her bed reading that evening she felt uneasy. The house was silent except for the occasional door squeak or footsteps. As the grandfather clock in the hall struck midnight she laid her book upon the table preparing to turn out the light when the glass window mere inches from her bed shattered. She screamed, her heart hammering in her chest drowning out any other noise. Then her eyes fell upon the object that broke the window and she screamed again. Bile rose in her throat as she stared at the rock tied to a severed hand. Rafe burst through the door with Sal on his heels. Rushing to Gaia he grabbed her in his arms and bolted from the room with the hysterical girl. She clung tightly to his chest, burying herself in the warmth and comfort his muscled chest offered. His scent of leather and wood calmed her. She breathed it in, willing her hysterical sobs to cease. Sitting down with her on his bed Rafe cuddled her close to him and whispered sweet nothing's against her temple as he kissed it softly. Rafe felt at peace with this beautiful angel in his arms. If only for this moment he cared nothing for the world outside his door, for the threat that had just been too close to home, or the many demands of his buisness. No, right now the only thing that mattered was the dark haired beauty in his arms. As her breathing slowed and the panic left her Gaia looked up into Rafe's dark eyes and whispered softly, "Thank you."
Rafe held her tighter, "I've got you Gaia. Anytime, anywhere, I will be there to hold you."
She smiled softly, burying her face in his chest again. Slowly, she relaxed and her eyes drifted shut. Rafe felt her body relax against him and her breaths become steady. He held her for a few more minutes before gently laying her in his bed and covering her sleeping form. He walked out quietly and shut the door before going back to her room where Sal and a few others were cleaning up the mess, "Well?"
Sal looked up, "Fernando's hand. No sign of the person who did it. Camera's on this side were disabled. It looks like an inside job."
"I want the son of a bitch found!" He roared.
All of the men nodded and scrambled to finish the room. Sal stood next to his best friend and patted his shoulder, "We will find them. She's going to be safe."
Rafe shrugged off his friend's hand and stormed out. He only calmed down when he entered his room and saw Gaia sleeping peacefully. He showered quickly and changed into a pair of sleep pants before slipping into bed beside her and pulling her sleeping form into his chest, relishing her presence. Sighing gently he kissed her bare shoulder and murmured softly, "I've got you mia piccola rosa."