22. My Homo Side

A/N - Guest POV from best friend/cousin Eddie!!!

Eddie

I sat on a swing in the deserted playground waiting for Ryan. I'd snagged a single bottle of beer from the fridge at home and I twisted it round in my hands while I waited.

Hopefully Ryan would bring his own beer, but if he didn't I'd offer him this one. He needed it more than I did.

The Rec was a slightly run down playground on the edge of town, more popular with teenage delinquents than small kids nowadays. It was cold and dark, so as usual, we would have the place to ourselves.

My breath caught slightly at the sight of Ryan walking towards me along the dimly lit path.

He was so fucking hot, it drove me insane sometimes.

Yes, that's right, I had a fucking crush on my cousin. I did my best to ignore it. And to be honest, I had a crush on a lot of guys. Matt from the swim team, Kyle who I sat next to in Science, Mr Graham my gym teacher, David from the corner shop, Justin -"

"Hey, earth to Eddie!!"

I jumped a little, wondering how Ryan had suddenly got beside me. I had no idea the list of my crushes was that long!!

"Yeah!" I cheered when I saw the six pack of beer that Ryan had tucked under his arm, and I proceeded to crack open my one bottle.

Ryan sat on the swing next to me and opened one of the cans.

"So what are we celebrating?" I asked jokingly.

"Nate getting his ass kicked?"

I laughed. "So he finally showed up then?"

"Yeah," he said, taking another swig of his beer.

I'd known Ryan for a long time. I knew him as well as I knew myself. And right now I knew that a storm was brewing somewhere deep inside of him.

I decided the best thing was to stay silent. We had the type of close relationship that meant that we could easily sit together in silence without it being uncomfortable. He'd talk when he was ready.

He'd finished one can and started on a second before he finally said something.

"What do you think about gays?"

I spluttered on my beer.

That was the last thing I ever expected him to say.

The truth was, I'd known I was gay for a few years now, but it was so heavily frowned upon in our community that I was too scared to come out to anyone. Even Ryan.

I knew I had to be careful what I said. I continued to cough to buy me some time.

"I don't think about them at all," I eventually replied.

His frown told me he wasn't pleased with my answer.

"Well think about them now," he ordered.

I sighed and looked away.

"Can I ask why you're asking?" Surely he didn't think he was gay? He'd never pinged on my gay radar, or shown any interest in guys. Although there was that Elijah kid...

"It's just something Nate said," he replied with a shrug.

"Oh ok." I couldn't think what Nate would have said to bring this on, but I needed to give him an answer. "I don't really care, I guess. As long as they're not hitting on me."